This topic is READ ONLY
thagley81 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

I used the official installer. I've encountered some difficulty getting EasyGui to work using the "import easygui" command in the Python Shell. Nothing happens at all when I type the command. I'm using Windows Vista. I have a very basic level of knowledge so please let me know if you require additional information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim
warren.sande (211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: EasyGui Vista
Tim,

From what you described so far, it sounds like EasyGui is installed properly.

When you do "import easygui", it shouldn't do anything (except give you another prompt):

>>> import easygui
>>>

Importing is just making easygui available for Python to use. The fact that it didn't do anything is actually a good sign. If easygui wasn't installed properly or Python couldn't find it, you would get an error message.

To actually use easygui, you have to do something like:

easygui.msgbox("Hello there!")

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll see if we can figure out what's wrong.

Regards,
Warren and Carter
thagley81 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the timely response. You are right, there was no problem besides a misunderstanding on my part. Everything is working fine. Thanks again!

Tim
Wazza (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hello Warren and Carter

Iv’e downloaded v0.93, v0.94, v0.95 when I click on EasyGui setup, an empty black python window flashes on the screen for half a second. I then also tried typing easygui.msgbox(“Hello there!”) into pyhon shell and got an NameError ‘easygui’ is not defined message. I'm using Windows Vista. I have a very basic level of knowledge so please let me know if you require additional information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Iv'e loved the book up until now p52 and cant wait up start creating actual things.

Thanks,
Warren Batten
Did you use the HelloWorld installer? It installs everything you need for the book, including EasyGui.

If you didn't, try uninstalling whatever version of Python you have and run our installer. You can get it here:

http://www.manning.com/sande/installers/hello_world_setup.exe

- Warren Sande
Ok got EasyGui thanks for that. but now i can't find SPE in the python 2.5 directory, In the Python directory i have IDLE (Python GUI), Module Docs, Python (command line), Python Manuals, Uninstall python. and its not in the rest of the program directory.
Please Help
If you use our installer, SPE isn't in the same StartMenu group as Python. It has it's own StartMenu entry, "Stani's Python Editor", with 3 items:
- SPE on the web
- Stani's Python editor (this is the one you want)
- Uninstall SPE

The SPE files should be in Program Files. On my machine, they are at:
Csmilierogram FilesSPE\_spe

- Warren Sande
All fixed thanks.