mark.seemann (383) [Avatar] Offline
The current sample code for the book is written in Visual Studio 2008 and against ASP.NET MVC 1. The main reason for that is that it's almost two years ago I started writing and back then Visual Studio 2010 was still in beta.

In the end it took longer to write the book than I had anticipated. Visual Studio 2010 is out, so it would make sense to upgrade the sample code.

However, if I do that I'd effectively be excluding those readers who don't have access to Visual Studio 2010. Is this a 'real' problem, or is it all in my head?

What do you all think? Should I upgrated the sample code to Visual Studio 2010 and ASP.NET MVC 3?
tjaskula (51) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Should I upgrade sample code to VS2010?
Hi Mark smilie

+1
Yes it could be nice smilie

Thomas
cyberzed (1) [Avatar] Offline
+1 as well, happily living inside VS2010 for a few months now smilie

If you need a bit of test runs from other devs just poke me to check for random assembly refs and such.
hoetz (4) [Avatar] Offline
Yes, please smilie
Most of the feedback I got on this question has been positive - a few answers here and more on Twitter.

I got a single response on Twitter to the effect of "don't bother, in a printed book even the latest tech is going to be obsolete soon", and I do agree, but decided to upgrade none the less.

Most of the reviews are likely to be written when the book is published. If the code is 'old' at that point, it might negatively affect the reviews - which are going to stick for a long time.

Later on, yes: the code is going to be looking old in any case, but hopefully the patterns and principles will prove more timeless.
chorse (16) [Avatar] Offline
I agree with your choice to upgrade the code.

MVC3 adds support for DI - and it's really DI friendly. The new razor syntax makes the views a joy to code. I am on the MVC3 bandwagon. It's really a lot better than what has come before it and, a real leap forward from Net 3.5, MVC1 and that version of EF.

I for one will pretty much be using Net4, MVC3, mostly EF4, and UNITY DI, for most of my programs going forward.

What I am most surprised about is that Manning doesn't yet have a MEAP for MVC3.

-Richard
Is there a time-frame that the MVC3 C# sample code will be released???
I'll ask Manning to post the latest code download.

It contains sample code written against MVC 3. However, if you are expecting to see anything about the so-called 'DI features' you may be disappointed.

The latest version of chapter 7 has a side bar called "IDependencyResolver" that explains exactly why it's not covered in the book (and the reason isn't because of time constraints).
Thank you. I will look forward to the MVC3 posting. There appears to be some differences because of where object composition can take place.

IDependencyResolver = Service locator anti-pattern. Got it. -r