This topic is READ ONLY
Markku (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi.

I'm going throught the book to get my feet wet, and it is well done. Mostly things work out just fine, and making some mistakes helps with learning to troubleshoot as well as getting it right.

Since this book is for newbies, there is one thing about Python which should get discussed right away, as soon as you ask the reader to type a program into an editor, and that one thing is INDENTING. It took me a long time to figure out that Python uses indenting to set code blocks, not brackets or braces like other languages.

The book doesn't get to that point until pages 64 and 65.

So, maybe one of your Thinking Like a Programmer or Carter Says graphics could be put in the first time indented code is expected (I think at listing 1.2 page 11). Actually this was the one where things didn't work for me until I solved the problem some considerable time later. I could imagine others being frustrated enought to quit right there, if they are not familiar at all with computer programming.

I hope this is useful.
warren.sande (211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Newbie to Python, but. . . .
Thanks for the comments about the book. Glad you're enjoying it.

We do mention indenting on Page 12, when we show the very first code that needs indents (Listing 1.2, the Number Guess game).

Then, there's no more code that needs indenting until the second version of the Number Guess game (the one that uses EasyGui) on Page 60, which is at the end of Chapter 6. Then, early in Chapter 7, we talk about indenting, starting on Page 65. That's when we really start using indented code, for IF blocks.

But perhaps we could make a more prominent note about it earlier on, as you suggest.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
Warren Sande