The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

RobertGloverJr (30) [Avatar] Offline
I would like Craig to include some comments, thoughts, and suggestions on the general subject of the transition of Spring from an open source organization into a "for profit" concern.

For example, I would like Craig to point out there is an excellent, very helpful product named "MyEclipse for Spring" which can be a fantastic help to programmers who wish to get up to speed quickly with Spring.

MyEclipse for Spring has many compelling features, including the ability to generate complete Spring applications that are well documented and well written. Best of all, MyEclipse for Spring lets the developer choose whether the automatically generated Spring application will use Maven, or will instead not use Maven and be completely generated with the proper jar files "automagically" placed where they need to be as part of the generation.

Spring, which has morphed into a "for profit" company that is a subsidiary of Vmware, acts is if "MyEclipse for Spring" does not exist and never, ever mentions it.

I think that Craig, in his role as an independent author, would be remiss to not mention MyEclipse for Spring.

Similarly, I would like Craig to mention and comment on the change in Spring's philosophy whereby examples are no longer included in the download of Spring. Instead, the only way to get Spring examples is to check them out from a subversion repository. Craig might comment on the hardship this causes to some professional developers who work in corporations where the corporate firewall makes it impossible to check the Spring examples out of subversion from their work computers.

Finally, I would like Craig to mention and comment about the shift in Spring's approach whereby it is becoming increasingly more difficult to use Spring unless Maven is also used. For example, the Spring examples (which must be downloaded from a subversion repository) will for the most part not build or run without the presence of Maven.