The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

RobertGloverJr (30) [Avatar] Offline
I think a compelling argument can be made that the section on messaging merits at least a passing reference to the messaging company which Spring (a subsidiary of Vmware) recently purchased. I am of course referring to RabbitMQ, which Spring acquired in April of 2010.

It is a confusing situation to say the least.

Your book, which I really like, is breezy and fun and unbiased.

Yet however, now that Spring is very much a "for profit" company that is buying other companies, it seems like "the elephant in the room" to have a chapter on messaging without saying something about the messaging company that Spring now owns.

I have one other comment on messaging.

While it is very tempting for me to install ActiveMQ and work through your examples, the fact of life for many corporate developers is that we develop in Tomcat but deploy to IBM Websphere.

It would ring my chimes if your chapter could provide some pointers on how to convert from ActiveMQ (for development), to Websphere messaging (for deployment). (IBM Websphere includes a stripped down messaging that is built into it, so that the full blown MQSeries messaging is not required when only basic messaging is needed).

To put this another way, your example of using ActiveMQ with an ActiveMQ host running on Localhost is great for learning the general concepts of messaging. But we your readers are professional developers who do our work in corporations. In corporations it is not feasible to ask operations to run an instance of ActiveMQ and then access it from IBM Websphere. It would be very helpful if you could addresses this type of issue, as a help for developers to understand how to best apply what you are teaching about messaging to their real corporate jobs.