The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

RobertGloverJr (30) [Avatar] Offline
I really enjoy reading this book. The writing style is excellent and it is fun and informative to read.

I do feel however that the explanations of "<set>" and "<list>" in 2.2.4 "Wiring Collections" could benefit from more elaboration.

In the example of "<set>" Craig shows a "<set>" in XML named "Instruments" that contains '<ref bean="harmonica"/>' twice. Then in the explanation it says that a "<set>' can be used to configure a java.util.List, and adds that doing so guarantees all members of the List are unique.

Craig shows java examples of Instruments defined as a java.util.List, as a java Collection, and as an array. However there is no example of Instruments being defined as a java.util.Set.

Honestly, I am confused by this more than seems necessary. The difference between <set> and <list> is confusing because apparantly a <set> can be used to define a java.util.List. It seems to me this merits some additional explanation.