The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

rnuske (1) [Avatar] Offline
Dear Robert Kabacoff,

studying the chapter 5.6.3 "The reshape package" in the most recent preprint and Wickham's paper in the Journal of Statistical Software ( http://www.jstatsoft.org/v21/i12 ) I was wondering about to pieces:
- In your excellent explanation of the cast function (p. 133) you used triple dots in the formula, I guess to hint that more variables could be listed in that part of the formula. I understood (might be wrong), that triple dots are defined as "all other variables" and can thus be used only once in a cast-formula.
- On page 134 you stated "As you can see, the flexibility of the reshape() functions is amazing." which I believe is also true, but was not discussed in that chapter. You probably meant "the flexibility of the melt() and cast() function" or the functions of the reshape package.

best regards,
Robert