The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

stsinger (3) [Avatar] Offline
We're just getting into GWT and are looking for books to get started and have tutorials, etc. Typically, the "In Action" books have been good, but I'm concerned that this is almost four years old and GWT has progressed quite a lot, and right now we are in GWT 2.1.

I was wondering if this book is of any value to new GWT programmers, given that it seems to be several years old? Or are the changes subtle enough that it is still useful?
adam.tacy (269) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Suitable for use with GWT 2.0?
Hi,

I would say it is still useful to give a grounding in GWT, but you are also right in that GWT has come on a long way since the 1st edition and some code examples might need some interpretation.

For example event handling has moved from a listener approach to a handler approach, new data centric widgets are available, JSONP is built in. There are other things that are new, or more mature now, such as declarative UI with UiBinder, MVP being easier with Activity and Place objects, and dependency injection through GIN and Guice; which were not covered originally.

And apologies for delay in answering, we're busy hammering away at the 2nd edition, bringing the content bang up to date, addressing the above and more, and that hopefully will hit the MEAP process soon (http://www.manning.com/tacy/ ).

Best Regards,

Adam