luke.bace (66) [Avatar] Offline
Please post all errata here. Thanks.
stevegw (23) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Errors and Corrections
No big deal but the path for the appbar.next.rest.png in section (2.1.5)

On my system I found it to be

Csmilierogram Files (x86)Microsoft SDKsWindows Phonev7.0

My system is a x64 windows 7
timothy.binkley-jones (13) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks. I'll make sure to add a note about 64 bit systems in both the chapter text and the source code.
PhaedrusM42 (1) [Avatar] Offline
The second to last sentence in section 1.1 is missing an and or a slash:
Microsoft set out to build a new Windows Phone operating system built for designed to meet the
demands of the altered smartphone market.

Should be:
Microsoft set out to build a new Windows Phone operating system built for [and] designed to meet the
demands of the altered smartphone market.

Also, 1.2.1 sentence has a grammer issue:
On Windows Phone 7, all the devices have the same screen resolution of 800x480 pixels. The physical
screen dimensions will also be very similar among across all devices.

Message was edited by:
PhaedrusM42

1.2.3 under Application List (is) should be (if):
It does not matter is the
application is built using Silverlight, XNA or is a native application built by Microsoft, the device vendor or
the mobile carrier.

Message was edited by:
PhaedrusM42
Vahey (1) [Avatar] Offline
Spelling: "ContentPaenl"

2.1.3 Adding Application Content

Listing 2.2 Drawing the globe
<Grid x:Name="ContentPaenl" Grid.Row="1" Margin="12,0,12,0">
carstenh (1) [Avatar] Offline
The very first example, the Hello World project in chapter 2, requires Windows Phone SDK 7.1 (Mango). RichTextBox is not part of the 7.0 SDK. That means the user has to create a project for 7.1 when starting the project. There is no mentioning of that fact.
Thank you, we will mention the version selector in chapter 2 and that the Hello World sample (and most of the others in the book) will require 7.1.
joseangelmt (3) [Avatar] Offline
Live Tiles
The class StandardFileData used in the page 48 should be StandardTileData, and also could be a good idea to tell that the class lives in the Microsoft.Phone.Shell namespace.
Page 84, after Listing 3.9 Creating an alarm

Replace

<TextBlock Text="{Binding NavigationUri, StringFormat='Uri: {0}'}" >
Style="{StaticResource PhoneTextSubtleStyle}" />

with

<TextBlock Text="{Binding Sound, StringFormat='Sound: {0}'}" >
Style="{StaticResource PhoneTextSubtleStyle}" />
Listing 3.8

Delete the last character, the "a" after </DataTemplate>
nmunday (1) [Avatar] Offline
3.1.6 Going dormant
When the user leaves using the start button an application the operating system pauses the
application,

The bolded phrase should be removed or moved between 'leaves' and 'using'.
erunama (3) [Avatar] Offline
For the Hello World application, Visual Studio shows a dialog to prompt for Windows Phone version (7.0 or 7.1) that is being targeted. You should include that dialog.

<removed an incorrect error>

Message was edited by:
erunama
Section 2.3.2 ends with the following text:
"Now that we have learned about gestures, let's learn how to copy text to the system
clipboard. Our application will copy text to the clipboard when a toolbar button is pressed."

Section 2.3.3 is about adding toolbar and toolbar buttons (one of which happens to be copy). The text at the end of 2.3.2 is misleading, and should be changed to focus on the fact that toolbars are the next task (not copying to clipboard)

2.3.3 - should use v7.1 for the SDK path for consistency (since the example targets 7.1). Also, typo in file name "appbar.next.res.png"

2.4.3 - event handler name listed in XAML and actual code implementation are different

3.1.6 - First sentence starts "When the user leaves using the start button an application". For greater clarity, "using the start button" and "an application" should be swapped.

3.1.8 - Tombstoning
- After the code for listing 3.3, we see the following sentence: "We only run read from the State dictionaries when IsApplicationInstancePreserved is true". That is incorrect. The code is only run when IsApplicationInstancePreserved is false. Also, this sentence could be made more clear by removing the word "run"

3.2 - Running behind the lock screen
- This section prompts the reader to try out the sample app with locking the screen. It does not seem possible to do that with the emulator, so you should mention here that the reader will need to deploy to a physical device to see it in action.

Listing 3.6:
- The XAML code has two lines with "#1" indications, but the caption has explanations for both #1 and #2

3.4.1 - Background Agent Projects
- "The new project will contain a single source code file named TaskScheduler.cs. Open up the TaskScheduler.cs and find the class named ScheduledAgent." VS creates a new project with source file name "ScheduledAgent.cs", the same as the class name itself.
- the file name is also referenced later on (such as in 3.4.2), so will need to be updated throughout

3.4.2 - "If a notification is not scheduled or is expired, we use the Remove method to delete if from the scheduled action service."
- Change "if" to "it"

Message was edited by:
erunama
Re: Live Tiles
Jose already mentioned the ShellTileData typo. I would like to add that there seems to be some confusion with terminology, as Chapter 2 keeps referring to the Start tiles as "Live Tiles", even though they aren't live.

You should try to stay consistent with official WP7 terminology. In this case, you want to use "Application Tile" for the main app tile, and "secondary Tile" for additional tiles:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.phone.shell.shelltile(v=vs.92).aspx
Just got the final release and getting back to looking at the book.
Going through Chapter 2 example again

navigateBackButton_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

should be EventArgs I believe ..

private void NavigateBackButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

Also intellisense wants N rather than n .... no worries just feedback

Also you used
BackKeyPress="PhoneApplicationPage_BackKeyPress"

but the example says

private void Page_BackKeyPress(object sender, CancelEventArgs e)
{

missing PhoneApplication

another small point is the background Image world sphere is not consistent .. The final code example uses the book picture

I will also write elsewhere but the icons used for the ApplicationBarIconButton only appear as X not there actual icon and I saw this in earlier versions ... is there an emaulator issue?
Re: Errors and Corrections 2.4.4 Navigating with Live Tiles
StandardFileData tileData = new StandardFileData

should be (Tile)

StandardTileData tileData = new StandardTileData
Thanks, I'll update chapter 2 to fix the event handlers.

The ApplicationIcon.png and Background.png were accidentally replaced in a bulk copy operation. I'll restore them to the sphere icons.
Re: Live Tiles
In a sense, all the tiles on the start screen can be live tiles if the application implements code to update badges, provide background messages, etc. I'll update the terminology. Thanks.