The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

luke.bace (66) [Avatar] Offline
Please post all Errors and Corrections here
javaplus (1) [Avatar] Offline
Section 2.2.3 Tools Location
With the current version of the Android SDK, the aapt.exe and adb.exe are now in the "<SDK HOME>/platform-tools" folder and not in the plain "tools" folder as indicated in section 2.2.3 of the book.

The command to make adb.exe and aapt available to run from the command line should be:

(windows)
set path=%path%;c:softwaregoogleandroidsdkplatform-tools;

(mac or linux)
export PATH=$PATH:/path_to_Android_SDK_directory/platform-tools
Mark Elston (133) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Errors and Corrections
The discussion at the top of page 107 has a couple of typos (I think). Where it says:

...if an IntentFilter supports both the HOME and the ALTERNATIVE categories, it'll match an Intent for either HOME or CATEGORY. But if the IntentFilter doesn't provide any categories, it won't match HOME or CATEGORY.

I think the occurrences of CATEGORY (all caps) in this paragraph should be replaced with ALTERNATIVE, right?

Mark
noba (1) [Avatar] Offline
In listing 1.2 pp. 18, onCreate should be public and not private.

Overall, I wonder why the code indentation is so messed up throughout the book, it's not easily readable. It looks like it is fine in the downloadable sources so I'm guessing this error lies on the editor's side. A shame considering the text quality.
mejohnsn (22) [Avatar] Offline
In Android in Action (2nd ed. of Unlocking Android), p73, in the table of lifecycle callbacks, in the entry on onDestroy(), reads, "...because onFinish() is directly invoked...".

Surely it should read "...because finish() is directly invoked...".
mejohnsn (22) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Errors and Corrections ch. 11 WindWaves
Needs to use all the digits of precision for the location of Golden Gate. Clipping as it now does to 2 decimal digits places the GG out in the Pacific near San Mateo County!
\r

Also, better lifecycle management would be really good too: the Back key should not go to the splashscreen, which should die once the splash is over anyway.
rjarl (1) [Avatar] Offline
I just started the 3th chapter example (RestaurantFinder) that uses the "Google Base Data API" that is deprecated from June 1st 2011 (As you probably know: http://googlemerchantblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-shopping-apis-and-deprecation-of.html)

So, as You can imagine, I cannot try the example..

Could you give us a new URL, workaround or onother example to solve this?

Thanks on advance
Regards
Raúl.
icogs (16) [Avatar] Offline
None of the non-rectangular shapes draw correctly because the examples use a "type=" attribute (wrongly called a tag in section 9.1.1). Change all the "type=" attributes to "android:shape=" and you get a much more meaningful result. Note also that the fig 9.2 shows the result of using the wrong attribute so all the ovals and lines render as rectangles.
pxdavis (1) [Avatar] Offline
1.2.2 Installing Eclipse

I believe "god" should be "good"
"which has a god assortment of tools for Java developers."
phobeous (2) [Avatar] Offline
Section 5.2.2
The openFileInput method has wrong signature. Its signature is openFileInput(String name) instead of openFileInput(String name, int mode)

This error is on page 137, section 5.2.2
phobeous (2) [Avatar] Offline
Capter 5 samples: WidgetProvider
Class: com.msi.manning.chapter5.widget.WidgetProvider
SVN Revision: 185
Lines: 174 to 183

In method insert, when setting default fields, all keys are "Widget.NAME".