The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

boy18nj (112) [Avatar] Offline
Yesterday I have started reading this book. Thanks to authors for writing this book.

I am pretty much beginner to Lucene world. Here is my feedback on the book-

Chapter-1 Very clearly written, I can clearly understand how Lucene works and its flow of working, too helpful. Indexer and Searcher programs provide me an opportunity to get in touch.

Chapter-2 Everything goes smooth until the topic Field options start. I am completely lost, so many new terms are introduced which is natural. Finding it hard to keep track of new terms introduced because they are referred again and again further down the stream.

Example-
Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED
Field.Index.ANALYZED
Field.Index.NO
Index.ANALYZED
Index.NOT_ANALYZED
Index.ANALYZED_NO_NORMS

I cannot make out difference in between them or better to say remember them.
It would be an excellent if the reader was shown the index generated file when tweaking these options to different values. Then in first reading I would have remembered what we are really talking about.

I believe doing so would have lengthened the book. For now, I need to concentrate reading it.
Jackleehzh (1) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Started Reading the book...
I have just gotten a book,today!
Begin reading!
God bless me!