deanf7 (2) [Avatar] Offline
I'm new to Java, but have used PHP for a number of years. I've been working on integrating Tika into a PHP app with hopes of possible making it a pure Java app after I get up to speed some on Java. I was wondering if we we're free to use the sample book code. I'm very happy to give attribution.
FYI, Finding Tika has been a real boon. Trying to integrate multiple file parsers written in pure PHP that don't work half as well as Tika was no fun and a number of pre Windows Office 2007 files weren't even really accessible at all.

Thanks for a great resource
chris.mattmann (14) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Book code
Hi there!

Thanks for your message and apologies for taking a while to get back to you. With the holidays and all it's been nuts.

I will confirm the usage rights for the book code and get back to you. I think it's fine to do so (with attribution), but will confirm. I'm glad that you found Tika useful in your PHP app. I have a few PHP apps of my own and have integrated Tika using some command line trickery, so if you come up with anything more elegant/etc., I would love to hear about it. Feel free to jump over on the Apache lists and join them (by sending mail to):

user-subscribe@tika.apache.org
dev-subscribe@tika.apache.org

Thanks, again, for your question!

Cheers,
Chris Mattmann
Hi!

I haven't forgot about this post -- still waiting for an answer...

Cheers,
Chris
Hi Dean,

Your question actually sparked a big email thread at Manning to come up with a documented policy for how this will work. I apologize that there isn't a resolution to this yet, but I'd recommend emailing the publishers directly if you need an expedited decision -- they are open, and highly communicative.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris