The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

lutzhank (61) [Avatar] Offline
MEAP 11/02/2010
Third paragraph:

Orig:
"Because we haven’t specified anything on the left side of the arrow, it means that the function we’re expecting as a parameter doesn’t take any parameter for itself"

This was missleading to me. I also know the () => Unit notation.
e.g.
>val f = (gsmilie)=>Unit) => {println("begin f"smilie; g(); println("end f"smilie}
f: (() => Unit) => Unit = <function1>

scala> val h : () => Unit = () => {println("begin h"smilie; println("make side effect"smilie; println("end h"smilie}
h: () => Unit = <function0>

scala> f(h)
begin f
begin h
make side effect
end h
end f

Thus I could specify () on the left side and give "no" parameter to h (well actually it's the only value of type Unit "()" ), which passes the above criteria if () is interpreted as empty parameter list.

My humble suggestion:
Maybe a hint (footnote, box) to not mix call-by-name up with "()=>" because... would avoid this confusion (to me).

Corrected MEAP version
Message was edited by: lutzhank
MEAP 11/02/2010

Cut in reading flow while understanding the example:

End of third paragraph:
orig text: "But if you expect a function parameter that takes two
parameters, like foldLeft, you have to define it as follows:
def foldLeft(initialValue: Int, operator: (Int, Int) => Int)= { ... }"

You write about parameterless methods before this sentence and continue with the example afterwards and don't discuss methods/function literals with more parameters at this point I may suggest to either place a short footnote to the place in the book
where functions/methods with more parameters are discussed or to ommit the orig-text, which would make it easier for me, to follow the breakable example.

------------------------
Corrected MEAP version
MEAP 11/02/2010

Code below with function name "install" in courier font type above it:

right above Listing 2.1 is the following code/text

"try {
op
} catch { case _ => }
That’s it"

Right above the code is the function name install

This confused me for a few seconds. Why? My thoughts just processed install and the code did not fit to install.

For me it would have been easier to read if after "the install function." I could read
"Listing 2.1 holds the complete code. ..." with the complete implementation including the above try catch.

------------------------
Corrected MEAP version
zszugyi (14) [Avatar] Offline
Re: page 31 - version 11/15/2010
Didn't want to open a new thread for page 31:

I think the example is somewhat convoluted, maybe because it's mixing the concepts of closures with first-class functions.

If the goal is to demonstrate closures, it'd be better to have an example which
defines a function which accesses/manipulates variables in its lexical scope.
If the goal is to demonstrate first-class functions and passing functions as parameters, the example is ok, although I'd think an example that computes
something or transforms a list would be clearer since it wouldn't require an
explanation of exceptions.

Nitpick:
paragraph 3: "The special right arrow" would be fine w/o the word "special"
Twistleton (3) [Avatar] Offline
Re: page 35 - Listing 2.1 breakable, break, and install functions
I receive a warning - write Throwable after the colon and the warning will disapear

def breakable(op: => Unit) {
try {
op
} catch { case _ : Throwable => }

}