The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

siddsanyal (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I have a need to integrate my stand-alone Spring web application with 2 other systems (including COBOL mainframe) and was wondering if Camel can do more than simply serve as a tool for building mainframe services. For example, I would like to use Camel to serve as the underlying framework (running inside a Spring App Context ) so that I can avoid a bunch of Java code (services, DTOs, entities, etc.) written by various hotshot Spring developers.
What EIPs are relevant here since this is around integrating a Web App with a mainframe in real-time while maintaining integrity of data in both systems.

#Current Situation:
I currently have an existing web application that is running stand-alone without integration to any other systems.
The layers & technologies that have been used are:
- UI layer: GWT & ExtGWT
- Server-side layer: GWT RPC endpoints backed by POJO components running inside Spring 2.5.6 app context.
- Persistence layer: JPA entities & DAOs with Hibernate as the provider (still using HibernateTemplate as the dialect rather than pure JPA API).
- Database: DB2 (immaterial to anything meaningful except JDBC drivers).

#Target Situation (including real-time integration with mainframe):
- UI layer: no change
- Server-side layer: Use Camel as the provider of "flows/services" that are called after all business logic code has been executed (triggered either by a user request or system event) and known actions need to be taken. These flows are transactional in nature wherein the flows need to update the mainframe (by invoking real-time CICS programs) and update the Web App Database if the mainframe request is successful.

Achieving all this using basic Spring framework or even Spring Integration is tedious, error-prone and difficult to maintain & test.

How can I use Camel to serve the web requests and perform the transactional integration tasks as well?

Let me know if this is post is longer than it should be and I will happily comply and break it up.
davsclaus (413) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Re-engineering existing Spring web application to use Camel
Such question is best discussed at the Camel forum
http://camel.apache.org/discussion-forums.html

Then the entire community can participate and help you.
This forum is mainly targeted for the Camel book.