The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

nathanbrown (6) [Avatar] Offline
I'm just starting on trying to develop my first Android application. The instructions in Appendix A don't line up with the android website, and neither of them explain which of the many variations of Eclipse should be installed.

What version of the JDK do I want? the x64 version or the x86 one (on Windows 7)? I looked a bit and couldn't find clear direction. I'm going with the x86 one because I figure that's safer.

Instead of getting the most recent version, http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html says to only use up to Eclipse 3.5 as 3.6 doesn't work with ADT.

My next question was what version of Eclipse to get? Do I want the the Classic one, the one for EE developers or the one for Java developers? The Android.com site lists them all. I went with the one for Java developers because it was the smallest. Some explanation would be nice.

Thanks,

Nathan Brown
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Appendix A: Installing the Android SDK chapter has unanswered questions.
Nathan,

The best bet is to always follow the guidance in http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html

In my experience I have stayed with 32 bit.

You don't require the EE version -- what you have downloaded is fine. You really just need the Java compiler and accompanying infrastructure. The EE version doesn't buy you anything. I've been running with Ganymede for ever it seems.

Frank
wadael (6) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Appendix A: Installing the Android SDK chapter has unanswered questions.
Hi,

The latest ADT plugin (dec 2010) is compatible with Eclipse 3.6.

Even works on Linux (Ubuntu 10) x64 with (Sun's) JDK6.

HIH

Jerome