The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

seltzerlj (14) [Avatar] Offline
On page 13, in the phrase "... we can treat it is as valid Groovy code...", the word "is" should be removed.

On page 14, in the phrase "Groovy and Grails mailinglists ...", "mailinglists" should probably be "mailing lists" (insert a space).

On page 19, in the phrase "... or whole scripts, line by line, into the shell code is executed ...", the word "into" should be removed OR a comma should be inserted so it reads "... whole scripts, line by line, into the shell, code is executed ..." (the comma is inserted after "shell" -- without it, the reader thinks that the subject is "shell code").

11:42 EDT
---------
On page 20, the phrase "... or expression spans over more multiple lines ...", the word "more" should be removed
OR
the phrase might be better as "... or expression spans over more than one line ...".

On page 21, the word "menues" is an incorrect spelling of "menus" (as the red squiggle under the first spelling in this editor indicates!).

On page 22, the comma in the phrase "..you can easily find out, what methods ..." should be removed; no pause is necessary at that point in the sentence.

14:42 EDT
---------
On page 23, "The pentagramm that underlies ..." has a misspelling of "pentagramm"; it should be "pentagram".
Also, "Groovy idomatic" should be "Groovy idiomatic".

2010-10-11
----------
page 25
"outputs a Java class files" should be "outputs Java class files".

page 26
"Groovy comes with a groovyc Ant tasks that" should be "Groovy comes with a groovyc Ant task that" or "Groovy comes with groovyc Ant tasks that".

"A second option is to rely one the" should be "A second option is to rely on the".

page 28
"experience for the eclipse user" should be "experience for the Eclipse user".

page 30
"when you're getting read to for serious" should be "when you're getting ready for serious" or "when you're getting read to do serious".

page 34
"iteration statements in the classsic" should be "iteration statements in the classic".

page 52
The text that begins with "notation, where x can be" should be left-aligned at the left margin.

"closure argument. Listing 2.6" should be "closure argument. Listing 2.7".

page 53
"The code in listing 2.6" should be "The code in listing 2.7".

Eagerly gobbling up the pages -- good book so far -- keep up the good work!

Larry

Message was edited by:
seltzerlj
Mittie (397) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
thanks a lot for the observant reading and the post!

cheers
Dierk
jaylogan (7) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
In Section 2.4.3 (The Groovy Lifecycle), around the 5th paragraph you have the "sentence":

Groovy read *.groovy files can at runtime as if they were *.class files.

Not sure exactly what this sentence is meant to convey, but is it:

Groovy reads *.groovy files at runtime as if they were *.class files.
ErJo (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
On page 43
"2.6 declares an immutable FixedBean class"
Should replace 2.6 with 2.5:
"2.5 declares an immutable FixedBean class"
ErJo (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
Table 1.4 on page 75:
pre & post decrement examples are missing '--' in the left-most box.
ErJo (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
Listing and table numbering are more likely incorrect than correct, so I will stop mentioning them.

Page 127:
from:
it is also possibly to simply use
to:
it is also possible to simply use
Mittie (397) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
> Listing and table numbering are more likely incorrect
> than correct, so I will stop mentioning them.

Yes, the MEAP versions get no propery copy-editing like the final version. That's a bit of a pain.

Your other findings are very welcome, though!
I will not respond to every single one but I will process this whole thread so nothing gets forgotten.

Thanks a lot and keep 'em coming!
Dierk
ErJo (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
Page 157 (wrong word used):
will be the right time at runtime.
Should instead be: (replace time with type)
will be the right type at runtime.
fjanon (62) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
17.6 Summary

"Last not least" -> "Last but not least"?
ErJo (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MEAP corrections
Page 167, Chapter 5.5.2

Old text:
But prop and foo() are a bit more involved as they appear.

New text:
But prop and foo() are a bit more involved than they appear.

This is a comparison, so "more than", not "more as".