The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

nathanbrown (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

I've been a reader of Manning books for programming topics and was glad to see one on Android now that I've gotten such a phone.

What sort of phone is needed/desired by a developer? I've been able to connect with adp, but I've got a phone that doesn't have a way to get root access (Motorola Milestone XT720). Is root access required for anything in this book? What about for normal application development?

Thanks,

Nathan Brown
solveigbj (24) [Avatar] Offline
Re: What kind of phone is needed for development? Does it need root access?
You can use any Android phone with the right version of the OS, at least v 1.6 for most examples. You do not need root access. We have been using a HTC Hero for all our programming. To start with, you don't need a phone at all. The Android emulator is very good for all basic programming tasks, unless you need to test things like GPS and camera.

Cheers
Solveig