mark.seemann (383) [Avatar] Offline
Please use this thread to post typos and other grammatical errors.

I really do appreciate all the help I'm getting with the text - particularly because English isn't my first language.

However, as other readers have pointed out. creating a new thread for each typo adds quite a bit of 'noise' to the forum, so using this thread should help in this regard.
conejo (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Typos
Figure 3.4 => Presentation is misspelled as Presentaion
Corrected.
peter_ (2) [Avatar] Offline
At the end of section 9.2, the last bold Interception is misspelled as Inteception. The sentence reads: ... will do a more complex example to see that Inteception can be used ...

/Peter
peter_ (2) [Avatar] Offline
In listing 9.7 Implementing the exception handling Interceptor, the t in Try should not be in capital. The "t" in try-catch block must be lower case, if it is in C#.

/Peter
Thanks. Corrected.

The capital T in Try is Word's attempt to fix my spelling smilie
DerekC (71) [Avatar] Offline

Some frameworks offer absolutely no Seams that allow us to manage the lifetime of the core elements of the framework. Windows PowerSheel is such a framework.

Should read:

Some frameworks offer absolutely no Seams that allow us to manage the lifetime of the core elements of the framework. Windows PowerShell is such a framework.

As with ASP.NET, that requirement very effectively bar any use of Constructor Injection.

A think would read better as:

As with ASP.NET, that requirement very effectively bars any use of Constructor Injection.

This may sound like a problem, but rarely isn't because instead of a multitude of similar instances, we have only one, which saves memory.

I think should read:

This may sound like a problem, but rarely is because instead of a multitude of similar instances, we have only one, which saves memory.

While you will be presented with the wine card, it only lists what the sommelier deem fit to offer for sale.

I think it should read:

While you will be presented with the wine card, it only lists what the sommelier deems fit to offer for sale.

Assuming that sommelier is singular in this instance.

The sommelier will often decide to keep lots of bottles on stock for years, and as we will see in the next section, so may a Composer decide to keep instances alive by holding on to their references by itself.

I think would more normally read:

The sommelier will often decide to keep lots of bottles in stock for years, and as we will see in the next section, so may a Composer decide to keep instances alive by holding on to their references by itself.

We can achieve this by extracting the connectionString from application configuration (not show, but similar to before) and using this outer variable from within the closure #2 we use to specify the constructor.

Should read:

We can achieve this by extracting the connectionString from application configuration (not shown, but similar to before) and using this outer variable from within the closure #2 we use to specify the constructor.

Every time the container is asked to resolve an IProdoctManagemetService instance, it creates a Transient instance with the Singletons injected into it #2.

Should read:

Every time the container is asked to resolve an IProductManagementService instance, it creates a Transient instance with the Singletons injected into it #2.

Some DI Containers allow you to write your own lifestyle extension, so this may be an option if you container of choice does not support the Web Request Context lifestyle out of the box.

Should read:

Some DI Containers allow you to write your own lifestyle extension, so this may be an option if your container of choice does not support the Web Request Context lifestyle out of the box.
Table 8.3

Minumum size

Should be:

Minimum size
Table 8.3

If we set the minimum size to anything else than zero, the pool must first fill itself up to this point before it can start serving objects.

Would usually be written as:

If we set the minimum size to anything other than zero, the pool must first fill itself up to this point before it can start serving objects.
Table 8.3

Do we keep the pooled filled until the application shuts down, or do we begin to drain it if we notice that it has excess capacity?

Should read:

Do we keep the pool filled until the application shuts down, or do we begin to drain it if we notice that it has excess capacity?
Figure 8.14

In this case we can encapsulate a NullService as a stand-in to be used while we wait for Godot.

Am I missing something? Godot does not seem to be referenced anywhere else.
Thanks for all the corrections. The manuscript is now updated accordingly.

"Godot" is a play by Samuel Beckett and just a play on words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot Too obscure?
Obviously too obscure for me, but I don't necessarily see that as a reason to remove a Samuel Beckett reference smilie
Figure 9.3

It delegates all work the decorated ProductRepository, but adds auditing in appropriate places. Can you spot the breading?

Should read:

It delegates all work to the decorated ProductRepository, but adds auditing in appropriate places. Can you spot the breading?

As is the case with so many other DI patterns, the Decorator pattern is an old and well-described design pattern that predates DI with several years.

Would usually be written:

As is the case with so many other DI patterns, the Decorator pattern is an old and well-described design pattern that predates DI by several years.

When we draw diagrams of layered application architecture, Cross-Cutting Concerns are often represented as vertical blocks placed besides the layers as shown in figure 9.5.

Should read:

When we draw diagrams of layered application architecture, Cross-Cutting Concerns are often represented as vertical blocks placed beside the layers as shown in figure 9.5.

When an exception is throws, it should pop up a message as shown in figure 9.9.

Should read:

When an exception is thrown, it should pop up a message as shown in figure 9.9.

Yes, but this attribute (and some other attributes available in the Base Class Library) is special.

This may be a bit of an opinion piece, but I expected it to read:

Yes, but this attribute (and some other attributes available in the Base Class Library) are special.

You start talking about a single attribute and then in the brackets expand it to encompass many attributes. I think I automatically expected the following text to refer to the now many attributes. You tend to read the sentence as a whole, rather than thinking the text in brackets is now out of the current context. Strictly speaking, what you have written is probably correct in ignoring the contents of the brackets. However, I'm not an grammar expert. smilie
Figure 9.10

PostShart post-compilation

Should read:

PostSharp post-compilation
Figure 9.10

The result is a new .NET assembly with the aspects imbedded

I think would more normally read:

The result is a new .NET assembly with the aspects embedded

The core implementation offered by WcfProductManagementAgent explicitly does not include error handling because it depends on the context how exceptions should be handled.

I find the second half of the sentence reads a bit awkwardly. It might read better as:

The core implementation offered by WcfProductManagementAgent explicitly does not include error handling as it is unlikely that any provided handling would be appropriate in all contexts.

Thoughts?

You may be concerned about the performance implications of compiling and emitting custom types on the fly, but as far as I have been able to determine, Windsor only does this once and reuse the type for all subsequent invocations.

Should read:

You may be concerned about the performance implications of compiling and emitting custom types on the fly, but as far as I have been able to determine, Windsor only does this once and reuses the type for all subsequent invocations.
Thanks for all your excellent corrections. They are now addressed in my manuscript.
bminer1 (14) [Avatar] Offline
Page 20, section 1.4.3 Analysis - says "Exposes Data Acces type to clients" and it should say "Exposes Data Access type to clients". Access has 2 s's. Yes, it's a small thing...
Still, thanks smilie
dougferg (11) [Avatar] Offline
I am looking at the pdf I downloaded about 2 days ago, and the word Presentation is still misspelled in the Graphic on Figure 3.4.
I saw that this was previously reported outside of the typos thread, but the typo is still present in the latest version I downloaded.

In 4.3.3, a sentence contains the following: "which component it is currently helping designing". It should say either "helping design" or optionally "helping to design."

If I see something that has been previously reported, but is still incorrect in the most recent version, do you want to be notified?
The following appears shortly after listing 4.6:

"so that we can convert some prices into such exotic
currencies as US Dollars or Euro"

I realize that in other languages, Euro may be singular or plural, but in English, the plural version ends in "s". Thus, it should read "dollars or euros."

http://www.uta.fi/FAST/AK2/euros.html

The European Commission's Directorate-General for Translation states clearly that the plural forms euros and cents should be used in English. (found on Wikipedia).
Parmjit (1) [Avatar] Offline
Normally we don’t wire electrical appliances together by attaching the cable directly to the wall. Instead, as figure 4 suggests, we use plugs and sockets; a socket defines a shape that the socket must match. As an analogy to software design, the socket is an interface.

Page 4 of chapter 1

a socket defines a shape that the (socket==>plug ) must match.
Parmjit and Doug. Thanks for your corrections, and sorry that I've been a bit late in answering...

Yes, I still like to receive notifications if things seem like they haven't been fixed smilie
AndyGreen (1) [Avatar] Offline
1.4.1 (Page 24)
The label for figure 1.11 includes the sentence
'Both are POCOs, which make them imminently susceptible to unit testing.'
I think it should read
''Both are POCOs, which makes them eminently susceptible to unit testing.'
Although imminently is a word too, I think you are right smilie Thanks.
jasonetedor (1) [Avatar] Offline
On p. 302, last paragraph (starts "When we are done..."), first sentence, penultimate word, replace "Constructur" with "Constructor."
I'm sorry, but I searched through all of my documents and couldn't find the place. Which chapter and section is that in?
makotosan (2) [Avatar] Offline
1.1.1 Hello DI Code

There's a line that reads:

You are probably used to see "Hello World" examples that are written in a single line of code, but here we will take something that's really simple and make it more complicated.

Instead, it should read:

You are probably used to seeing "Hello World" examples that are written in a single line of code, but here we will take something that's really simple and make it more complicated.
Thanks. Corrected.
dodazzle (1) [Avatar] Offline
In the last release I just downloaded, Page 10

The enables us to add and remove the hair dryer

should be

This enables us to add and remove the hair dryer
MShawnDillon (5) [Avatar] Offline
1.1.1 (pg. 5, DI Containers, third paragraph)

"If you though that DI..." should read "If you thought that DI..."
1.1.2 (pg. 7, second paragraph after Figure 1.6)

"...to address requirements that occurs..." should read "...to address requirements that occur..."
1.1.2 (pg. 10, first paragraph after Figure 1.9, second sentence)

"The enables us..." should read "This enables us..."
1.2.1 (pg. 14, first paragraph after Listing 1.1, second sentence)

"...and is described in details..." should read "...and is described in detail..."

Sorry for being so nit-picky...I'm a word and grammar geek in addition to a computer geek. smilie
1.3.3 (pg. 20, first bulletpoint, third paragraph, second sentence)

"Please note that is not so much the..." should read "Please note that it is not so much the..."
RobinLM (1) [Avatar] Offline
Page 5:
If you though that DI requires a

should read

If you thought that DI requires a
DanielH (6) [Avatar] Offline
Page 58 above the error message from Castle Windsor:

Abstracations
Rob T (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for pointing that out.

The book has now been printed, so it's to late to fix it this time around, but I've added it to my errata list.
Thanks, noted as well.

I don't really know what happened with these URLs during production, but please let me know of any you find, in case there's ever going to be a second printing.
Mark,
Thanks for the prompt response and just let me say that I am finding your book very helpful and well-organised.

Re the wrong URLs, this is only an issue in the ebook version as it only occurs when you click on the link in (for example) Adobe Reader: in the printed edition you would type in the URL from the text, which is correct. But I don't know if Manning's policy is to update the ebook edition separately from new print edition?
Rob
Oh, thanks for pointing this out - I didn't at first realize that this was only the e-book. I'll ask Manning whether it's possible to fix this out of sync with the print version.
Wishu (2) [Avatar] Offline
Page 109
I don't know if its really a typo.
In the para that follows immediately listing 4.4, the last sentense says "Notice that the LOCAL DEFAULT is assigned through the public setter,"
Is it 'setter' or it should be 'getter'?
The same sentence further says "which ensures that all the Guard Clauses get evaluated."
This further confuses me, since 'getter' has only one Guard Clause and you are using plural "Guard Clauses" & 'setter' has two of these. Hence I feel you really mean 'setter'.
Further on the same page, past but one para says "You may also notice that, because you use the 'setter' for lazy initialization (& you have marked it as 1 in the listing 4.4) which is in fact happening in 'getter'.
Please clarify if this is a typo or something wrong with my understanding of 'getter' & 'setter'.
Wishu (2) [Avatar] Offline
Page 109
I don't know if its really a typo.
In the para that follows immediately listing 4.4, the last sentense says "Notice that the LOCAL DEFAULT is assigned through the public setter,"
Is it 'setter' or it should be 'getter'?
The same sentence further says "which ensures that all the Guard Clauses get evaluated."
This further confuses me, since 'getter' has only one Guard Clause and you are using plural "Guard Clauses" & 'setter' has two of these. Hence I feel you really mean 'setter'.
Further on the same page, past but one para says "You may also notice that, because you use the 'setter' for lazy initialization (& you have marked it as 1 in the listing 4.4) which is in fact happening in 'getter'.
Please clarify if this is a typo or something wrong with my understanding of 'getter' & 'setter'.
There is no typo. The getter invokes the setter during lazy initialization.
mcavigelli (3) [Avatar] Offline
Figure 3.4 contains arrow in wrong direction
I think the arrow from "Look up concrete type in map" to "Default constructor" should only point from left to right.

p65 in Paper edition.
Liken, Chapter 7.5
p229 bottom:

"chapter 3, I liken the concept"
^^^
should read
"chapter 3, I like the concept"
Chapter 3.3.1: minor to subsequent spaces
"Commerce-WindsorInstaller, you install that"
^^^
I think there is one space too much.

p79.
Re: Chapter 3.3.1: minor to subsequent spaces
Thanks for your feedback. The arrow looks strange - I'll make a note of that for the errata.

The word "Liken" is a verb meaning "to represent as similar or like; compare" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/liken) so it's not a typo.

The space issue I can't see on my PDF. Could it be a kerning issue?
Patrick Szalapski (2) [Avatar] Offline
The inside front cover, in the upper-right, has a path labeled "refereces".

Mark, do you have a list of all errata? I thought it might be linked on the Manning page for the book but I don't see it.