ashish.sarin (361) [Avatar] Offline
Hi everyone,

A few sample portlets of Portlets in Action book have been modified to work with GateIn Portal. Please refer to this announcement for details: http://www.manning-sandbox.com/ann.jspa?annID=92

Many thanks to Kien (from JBoss) for coming up with the idea of making sample portlets work on GateIn and for helping me with making the changes.

regards
ashish
kien.nguyen (6) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Sample portlets for GateIn portal
I have just tested ch3_BookCatalog project, you are missing to add fr_FR resource instruction for maven in pom.xml file such as <include>Language-ext_fr_FR.properties</include>
Hi Kien,

I have made the change in pom.xml file and checked-in.

Please keep the feedback coming.

regards
ashish
A small comment for ch3 and ch6, you are missing declaration of key PortletMode.label.print in resource bundle filesmilie
Hi Kien,

Did you get any error message while running ch3 or ch6 examples?

regards
ashish
No, not be an error, I found a tiny warning from logs and resource bundle file haven't got that key.
ch3 and ch6 run OK.
Your new updates are good.
ch7, ch8, ch10 and ch11_ipc_session, all run ok on GateIn

Cheers,
Kien
tiho (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hello!

GateIn Platform uses both JBoss AS and Tomcat server. Can GateIn samples be deployed on both GateIn Platforms?
I've tested sample Ch1 and Ch2 on GateIn with JBoss. They work, but for Ch1 sample it was needed to modify web.xml namespace from xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee" to xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"

Regards,
Tihomir
The observation is correct Tihomir.

The examples make use of j2ee namespace, which works fine in Tomcat but not in JBoss. To make examples work on both the platforms, you should use http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee namespace (as you've done). JBoss is strict about the javaee namespace, so the change is required.

regards
ashish
Thank you for answering so quickly.

As I'm working with GateIn on JBoss AS any tips/links for porting web apps to JBoss AS are very welcome. I mean in general, but also regarding samples from chapters after ch2.

Regards,
Tihomir
Hi Tihomir,

I don't think you need to change anything except the j2ee namespace to javaee when deploying Portlets in Action examples on JBoss-GateIn bundle. I had tested most of the examples on JBoss and I didn't see any issue with getting the examples working on JBoss. If you face any specific problem, then you can post it in the GateIn portal user forum: http://community.jboss.org/en/gatein?view=discussions.

If you're looking for porting web apps to JBoss AS, then its a bit more involved process where you need to look at the existing web app's application server, keeping in view the following points:

1. Identify the version of the AS server on which the web app is currently deployed and identify the target JBoss AS version.
2. If you web application uses resources configured in JNDI, then you need to configure such resource in the JNDI of JBoss AS
3. If your web apps rely on some specific features/services of application server, then you may need to create similar service in JBoss or find an alternative for that in JBoss. In this step you'll need to aware of the JBoss AS version to which you want to migrate your web app. For instance, web app may be relying on WebSphere's Web Services Pack for web services. Another example could be use of WorkManager API in WebSphere AS.
4. IDE requirements when moving to JBoss AS. For instance, you'll use WSAD when working with WebSphere AS, which you'll not use when moving your web apps to JBoss AS.
5. Monitoring requirements for the web apps. For instance, you may be using PMI in case of WebSphere AS, and now you need to find how the web app will be monitored in the JBoss AS.
....and so on.

I think JBoss provides migration guides also which you can refer to for migrating web apps from a different AS to JBoss AS. For example, refer to this PDF document which gives some information about migration: http://www.jboss.com/pdf/671457_0608_AmentraWP_web.pdf

hope this helps.

regards,
ashish
Thank you for replaying.
It will help me a lot.
I'm learning about portlets and I'm using GateIn portal on JBoss community 5.1 server.
But there is a lot of interesting samples written for another servers and I don't succeed every time to run it on JBoss. That is why I'm interested in migration to JBoss.

Regards,
Tihomir
datasmith (3) [Avatar] Offline
Yes, it is definitely a good idea, however, I am looking for information on how to configure Eclipse to work with GateIn Portal to no avail. There are some postings with misc. advice that doesn't appear to work for other readers.

Is there some reliable Eclipse configuration for GateIn published that you can refer your readers to , so that we may work thru the examples?

Many thanks!
Are you using Eclipse? If so, can you please share how you have it configured to support GateIn Platform?
Well, I tried substituting the VM arguments from the associated bat file (for Windows installation) for the VM arguments used by the Eclipse IDE, and it worked. I also updated the working directory to the one used by the Tomcat for Gateln installation.

Now, it is time to try the examples.