The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

gmazza (30) [Avatar] Offline
Suggestions for Camel/CXF section:

1.) Section 7.4.2 should make clear very early on what it is we're doing: creating a Camel producer (a SOAP client) or a Camel consumer (a web service provider). It's not clear, so I'm having trouble following the text because I don't know what the goal is. (If we're going to do both, then just say so early on.)

2.) Also, in listing 7.3, Doc-Lit *wrapped*, the most common form of WSDL[1], is not being used (Such a design has only one wsdl:part to the wsdl:message[2].) I think it might be better to switch to that, as it would also show the user how to subsequently unwrap the returned values (partName, amount, customerName) from a POJO holding it.

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-whichwsdl/
[2] http://www.jroller.com/gmazza/entry/web_service_tutorial#WFstep4

3.) There's nothing here showing us how to make a SOAP client call as part of a route. I would think this is vital, much more important than showing us how to make a web service provider (which is not normally going to be done with Camel anyway, or at least not until we're comfortable with using it as a SOAP client).

Use case (let's say for a "DoubleIt" number doubling web service, as given in [2] above):
-- (1) I have a queue of numbers (1,2,3,4) I want to use as input to a web service (or, to simplify it, strings in a queue containing the full SOAP request envelope).

-- (2) I want the response of the SOAP client calls (or, to simplify it, strings containing the full SOAP response envelope) (2,4,6,smilie to be fed to a file or another queue.

This chapter is not showing us how to feed the SOAP request envelope into a SOAP client call as part of a route. This chapter is also not showing us how to process the SOAP response as part of a route. Even page 199, which shows us how to make a SOAP client call outside of a route (template.requestBody(...)), is not providing subsequent information on how to unwrap a response.

The book should provide this information--or at least links telling us where to get this info. Or does Camel not have this functionality?
janstey (72) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Suggestions for CXF component section (7.4)
Hi Glen,

I'm starting to think that we could have devoted several chapters on Camel/CXF alone! smilie Its a complex topic compared to most others. Its also hard to cover in a sub section of a chapter...

We are currently in a somewhat locked down mode of the book before print so major changes won't be happening. However, I would say some WSDL changes and expansion of SOAP client content should be doable. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for highlighting these points, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jon
gmazza (30) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Suggestions for CXF component section (7.4)
Understand about the deadline, wish I had gotten these comments in earlier.