The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

This topic is READ ONLY
Jamoneth (10) [Avatar] Offline
I am trying to figure out how to download SPE. I know the website but I do not know which SPE to use or how to download it. I am using Python 2.6.5 on windows vista. Please help

Jameson
warren.sande (211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: SPE
I would highly recommend you use our installer, here:

http://www.manning.com/sande/installers/hello_world_setup.exe

to install Python 2.5 (and all the modules, and SPE). There is no Windows installer for SPE for python 2.6. The Hello World installer works fine in Vista.

You can try copying the SPE source files, but you need to make sure you also have the correct version of wxPython for Python 2.6. SPE uses wx. It might not be very straightforward.

If you want to try it, you would download "SPE-0.8.4.c-wx2.6.1.0-no_setup.zip". Then unzip this, and you'll get a folder called "_spe". Copy that folder into c:python26libsite-packages.

So, you'll have c:python26libsite-packages\_spe All the SPE code will be in that folder.

You can find wxPython (for Python 2.6) here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.11.0-py26.exe

I can't guarantee that will work. We can really only support the installer that comes with the book.

Regards,
Warren Sande
Thanks, I have downloaded SPE and put it in site-packages. How do I open and do everything from there? Oh, and when I tried to install the book's package, it just showed that it had a virus. I tried importing _spe but it said I had to get xw 2.6.1.0 What is the website url for that
I have figured it out but how do you open SPE
SPE is itself a Python program. Just run spe.py.

Regards,
Warren Sande
I have tried that but it says that there is no module named wx
That means either wx is not installed (correctly) or SPE can't find the installation of wx.

Again, I would recommend using the book's installer. It will take care of all of this for you.

Regards,
Warren Sande