The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Elijah99 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Note: I am using Ext JS 3.2.0
Throughout the book is it suppose to be referred to as 'Ext' or 'Ext JS' I dont know now what to call it.
=============================
page 86 4 A place for Components
1st paragraph 1st line add the word JS so it reads '...build applications with Ext JS, they...'
Should the format be: 2nd paragraph 1st line italicize the word Containers.
Should the format be: 2nd paragraph 3rd line italicize the word Panel
Should the format be: 2nd paragraph 4th line italicize the word Windows
Should the format be: 2nd paragraph 4th line italicize the word MessageBox
Should the format be: 2nd paragraph 5th line italicize the word Tab Panels
3rd Paragraph I'm confused. I thought CRUD was for
Create
Read
Update
Delete
Item 4.1 The Panel
1st sentence reads awkwardly. '...framework as it what many developers...'

page 87
Code snippet is listed 2 times for 'var myBtnHandler'

page 90
Item Code example
The code example does not generate the image that follows it. The graphic shows the following buttons 'collapse, gear, help'. However when I run the code I am getting 'close, gears, help' with close == the X button.

page 93-94
I think though it may be somewhat beyond this book it would be a great idea to point out something here regarding memory consumption based on how people close or hide windows.

page 95
1st line change the word 'such' to 'center' so it reads '...we specify the buttonAlign property as center...'

page 96
After 1st paragraph code snippet. Looks like the code snippet 'var msg' is a different size font than the rest of the snippet.
2nd paragraph incorrect figure referece '...Figure 4.9 (Left)...' should be '...Figure 4.6 (Left)...'

page 97
After Figure 4.7 1st paragraph 2nd line remove word some so it reads '...important to hightlight two of the configuration...'
Last paragraph 2nd line I am not clear as to what you are refering to when you say 'While we pass a refrence to an already existing propery,...' What reference are you talking about or what property are you referring to?

page 98
2nd to last sentence reference to Figure 4.11 is incorrect. This should be Figure 4.8.
Last sentence '... dummy wait dialog. If the syntax...' This sentence just ends does not continue to next page.

page 101
The note on the '...one major disadvantage...' Should be put into a NOTE area like you had back on page 62 it is rather important and should stand out. Same for the layoutOnTabChange section that follows it.

page 103
Item code snippet.
Missing Tab 'simpleTab' simpleTab is referenced in the tabPanel however there are two (2) disabledTab configurations. Need to have
var simpleTab = { // 1
title : 'My first tab',
id : 'myFirstTab',
html : 'This is my first tab!'
}
The tabPanel configuration has an extra comma (,) in the configuration where you are adding items. '...disabledTab,...'
Also, though you can't see it in the print but the last 2 lines if you copy and paste the content the colon ':'
between '...items : tabPanel
}).show();' gets removed from the items : tabPanel and placed prior to the }).show(); Odd but I tried copying several times and pasting. It's the only place I have run across this so far while following the book.

page 105
Item 4.3.4 Working with caveats and drawbacks
1st paragraph 4th line remove the word either so it reads '...tabs can be pushed off screen....'
1st paragraph 6th line. I have no idea what TDI is. Can you tell us what TDI is?

page 106
After code snippet 1st paragraph 3rd line change the number 20 to 30. The code uses 30 in the for loop.
Also, you should mention here that if you were to add other components such as the GridPanel that specifying the title for the component will carry up to the title area of the Tab Panel. This was an office explitive for me these past few days.

page 107
2nd paragraph 7th line modify '...the user must over each tab...' so it reads '...the user must mouse over each tab...'
Last paragraph 2nd, 3rd line modify it to read '...We also learned of two configuration options,...'

page 108
Item 4.4 Summary
Though the icons are used to represent tools, I don't believe it should be worded as 'miniature tools.' but as 'miniature icons.'

page 109
2nd paragraph 4th line change the word boy '...Container’s content boy into five...' should be '...Container’s content body into five...'

page 111
Code snippet last line. Missing the myWin.show(); needed to render the example.
2nd paragraph line 2. What is the third child item? I only count the two panels. Are you referring to the tbar? If so please clarify as it's confusing.

page 112
Item Listing 5.2 code snippet
I cant tell.

page 113
3rd paragraph 3rd line add word the to '...integer is exact same as...' should read '...integer is the exact same as...'
Last paragraph reference to figure 5.3 is incorrect. This should referece figure 5.4 on the page that follows.

page 114
When running the code where handling the issue of resizing the panel and using the fixed size, the panel2 never actually got sized to 200, I tried 200, 400, 4000 and the panel2 was always the same size. Something to look into.

page 116
1st paragraph 6th line reference is incorrect. '...The third child item{5} is...' this is actually the 4th item in the code which is the textarea not the combo component.

page 118
1st paragraph 3rd line change word 'anchor' to 'absolute'
2nd paragraph 1st line change X{1} to X{2}
2nd paragraph 2nd line change X{2} to X{3}

page 121
2nd paragraph 2nd line 'layoutConfig{3}' actually is referencing in the code snippet the line after 'items :[' {
Move the // 3 reference up to the line with 'animate : true' Or change the 'layoutConfig{3}' to 'layoutConfig{2}'
Adjustment of the {#} references will be needed depending upon the fix for the item above.

page 122
2nd paragraph 1st line change '...One important to note that the accordion layout...' to '...It's important to note that the accordion layout...'
Also put this into the NOTE format as done previously on page 62

page 123
Item Listing 5.8 The CardLayout in action
Code snippet 19th line remove the trailing comma (,) '...anchor : '-10', should read '...anchor : '-10'
Code snippet 'autoEl:{}' this is a new Item and there is no discussion on this configuration option.

page 125
1st paragraph 2nd line change spelling of 'pervious' to 'previous'
After running the 5.8 example error found in code. Change the handler variable numItems to 'var numItems = myWin.items.getCount();' remove the -1 from the count as it messes up the intended logic

page 128 5.8 The HBox and VBox layouts
Category 5.8 is already used in the previous item '5.8 The CardLayout in action'.
This item should be item 5.9 The HBox and VBox layouts.
1st paragraph 1st line reads awkwardly due to the word 'is' "New to version 3.0 are the HBox layout’s behavior is very similar to the Column model,"
Code snippet trailing comma (,) at 10th line. '...frame : true,...'

NOTE:
INCORRECT SECTION REFERENCES CASCADE FROM THE MIS NUMBERING FROM 5.8 - 5.9
Will not point this out on remaining chapters

page 129
1st paragraph 5th line incorrect referece to code block via '...in Listing 5.15 will result...' should read '...in Listing 5.10 will result...'

page 130
Code issue: The code snippet on the use of 'flex' when executed does NOT render correctly. I am getting only panel 3 and panel 1 in the UI in that order. Panel 2 is nowhere to be seen.
2nd paragraph 2nd line referece is wrong. Points to '...Listing 5.15...' should point to '...Listing 5.10...'
4th paragraph 1st line change the word and '...switch gears and the Table...' should be '...switch gears to the Table...'

Item 5.9 The Table Layout
1st paragraph 2nd line change the word used '...Many of use are used to building...' should read '...Many of us are use to building...'

page 133
Item Figure 5.15 This is a completely wrong screen image of the 9 boxes in table layout showing row and colum spanning.

page 134
Item 5.10 The Border Layout
1st paragraph 4th line should read '...Figure 5.16 illustrates a border layout from the Ext SDK.'

page 135
NOTE: Internet Explorer vs 8.0.6001.18929 on Windows Crappy Vista 64 bit system.
When running the code on this sytem the West Panel always overlays all of the Center and East areas. If you collapse the West region then Center and East are visible. If you open the West again it overlays again.
I have not run any of the previous examples in I.E.

1st paragraph 1st line remove the words a bit '...using the viewport a bit in just a few lines of code....' should read '...using the viewport in just a few lines of code....'

page 137
4th paragraph last line reference to listing is incorrect '...Listing 5.19...' should be '...Listing 5.13...'

page 141
3rd paragraph 3rd line change '...we’lll...' to '...we’ll...'
Item Listing 6.1 Our text fields
change the number references from #1 etc. to //1 etc.

page 142
Code snippet add the word be to '...Must a valid web url...' should be '...Must be a valid web url...'
3rd paragraph 3rd line change the word it to its should read '...result of using its test method,...'
When running the page the regexp you specified for the URL validation does not show failure for the following entry 'http://www'

page 143
Code snippet change the number references from #1 etc. to //1 etc.

page 147
Item Listing 6.3 Building our first ComboBox
HOLD YOUR HORSES.
Ran the code and came back across the following issue. When the user runs the code and selects from the combobox all the options disapear. I do not recall the solution but it is something that MUST be put here to save the reader a hole lot of frusteration to resolve this.
Whats ? POJSO ? == ?? JavaScript Object? 3rd paragraph 1st line.

page 148-149
Do we need to explicitly call the 'load()' method? '...remoteJsonStore.load();...'

page 151
1st paragraph 2nd line change the word '...mapwped...' to '...mapped...'

page 152
1st paragraph 2nd line change the word '...Alhough...' to '...Although...'
1st paragraph 3rd line change the word '...bowx...' to '...box...'
1st paragraph 6th line change the word '...Combo...' to '...ComboBox...'
Item 6.2.3 The ComboBox Deconstructed 1st paragraph last line change '...Combo box...' to '...combo box...'
Item 6.2.3 The ComboBox Deconstructed 1st paragraph last line change '...custom combo...' to '...custom combo box...'
Item 6.2.4 Customizing our ComboBox 1st paragraph 2nd line I think there is a space in the word '...k now...' as it breaks onto the 3rd line.

page 153
1st paragraph 1st line change '...Nowwe...' to '...Now we...'

page 154
Item 6.2.5 Finding the time 1st paragraph 4th line change '...11:46..' to '...11:45...'

page 157
Item 6.5 1st paragraph 1st line reads awkwardly change to '...In this section, we’re going to not only focus on instantiating...'

page 159
2nd paragraph 1st line change '...you..' to '...your...'

1st paragraph 2nd line add the word is '...users if a field deemed invalid....' should read '...users if a field is deemed invalid....'
2nd paragraph remove the word the from '...the FormPanel’s the ability to...' should read '...the FormPanel’s ability to...'

page 161
Item Listing 6.7 Constructing two FieldSets

page 162
Item Listing 6.8 Building our second fieldset.

page 163
? toolbox-o-methods ? Could you tell us what part in the book this is going to be. I did a search for it and this is the only time the words '...toolbox-o-methods...' appears.
3rd paragraph 2nd and 3rd lines. Should the word '...hbox...' be '...HBox...'

page 164
Item Listing 6.9 Building a tabpanel with form items

page 165
Item Listing 6.10 Piecing it all together
Code snippet add a trailing single quote to "...id: 'myFormPanel..." should be "...id: 'myFormPanel'..."
4th paragraph 5th line spelling correction to '...fielsetContainer...' should be '..fieldsetContainer...'

page 167
Item '...Listing 6.13 Submitting...' should be '...Listing 6.11 Submitting...'
4th paragraph 1st line refereces '...In Listing 6.12...' should referece '...In Listing 6.11...'

page 169
Item 6.7.3 Loading data into our Form
1st code snippet correction the content for the data.txt file must NOT contain the 'var x =' the file should begin and end with the curly braces { }
2nd code snippet section missing trailing single quote (') 4th code line '...url : 'data.txt', ...'

Stopped reading at Part 3 Data Driven Components page 172