The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Falling (10) [Avatar] Offline
Open Source License

Commercial License

Developer License

Was hoping book would cover this and give example cases for each is this going to happen?

Here is the senario I'm looking at if anyone wants to give advice on what would be the correct license to use let me know. Obviously your not lawyers and I've sent this same question to Ext -- just curious if anyone really understands this license situation with Ext. I'm not against it btw, I just wish they have "senario" examples or case studies to teach u better which one you should use. Feel free to go in as depth as you wish to teach me smilie.

Case Study 1:

So if my company used Ext on our websites front-end we make for clients that we host, would we require a Commercial License, Developer License, or open source license?
What is the difference?

Our JavaScript would naturally be open source--does that satisfy the OSL, or would our non-Ext-back-end code have to be open sourced as well?
jesus.garcia (463) [Avatar] Offline
Re: License - anyone care to enlighten? -- kinda confusing
Falling,

Unfortunately, licensing is a completely hairy situation and is something that I did not want to touch because there is no way I could cover every scenario. Also, I am no expert on licensing.

Therefore, the best thing to do is contact licensing@sencha.com
Fair enough I just think their current method of forcing people to basically contact them to find out which license they need is a bit crazy, I'd call it a major weakness of the library.

I originally tried to find out this answer by going to MIRC channels and asking in jquery / YUI / dojo channels that I normally visit. The overall trend: Exactly the same as yours, but also in almost every case "that's why we don't use it" -- or "yah it's a cool library, but it's license setup is too confusing so just use ours--or these other libraries."

They don't just plug their own libraries btw, obviously being in their Mirc channel means you know about theirs, most of the time they would go over the libraries I COULD use without having to "think" so much about the situation. I think a lot of developers know about Ext but they are confused about it. I have no real issue paying for software as well, but if i'm going to send a spending request to my boss I have to know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't get that feeling of knowing well enough to write the request.

-- that's the main point. Since Ext legality is more confusing --- it should do more on it's website to spell this out. The fact I have to email them makes me think I'm just going to get some sales guy responding to me trying to sell me the most expensive package....very clever marketing strategy (assuming my assumption is correct) -- but also not cool.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and maybe the email will be very enlightening. The point is why don't they have these "case studies" or scenarios better presented on their site. Perhaps It's just my reading comprehension, regardless even if that is the case I'm part of the audience they are suppose to be targeting so they should strive much harder to get their points across to people like me.
Wow, mIRC is still around? mIRC == product, IRC = Internet Relay Chat (the service).

Licensing is a sticky issue, which can be interpreted a few ways.

There is no way that I am going to take a position and speak about what is possible with another company's product.

I agree that the Sencha website can do more to explain about its licensing model. I cannot speak to why this is the way it is.

That said, I have focused on the framework since the very beginning because it meets my (and my customer's) needs. But, to be honest, it's not for everyone.

Message was edited by:
jesus.garcia
ah yes a bad habit of mine, refering to IRC as mIRC. Actually use irssi nowadays.
mIRC was just the first client i used to use.

I just think Ext book should tell people at the very least to go review the license and warn them to not just use this product at will.

A lot of JS libraries you can do this. With Ext it's not true, this will be odd for developers used to using jquery/YUI/dojo/prototype/ etc. Your book ignoring it completely will perhaps make some people assume you can use the library just as you can use the ones i just mentioned since you yourself compare Ext to these libraries in your book. To not state there is a huge license difference at the very least in your book seems possibly detrimental to your readers future actions.
Trust me, when I say that I understand where you're coming from.

However, the developer should be responsible enough to figure out the license options they need. When you go to download the product, the license is the first thing that is mentioned: http://www.sencha.com/products/js/download.php/

That said, I never state that Ext JS is "open source" in chapter 1.