The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

icogs (16) [Avatar] Offline
Listing 2.5 - top line page 64

- "draw the circle" should have been commented out, i.e. "//draw the circle"
Re: Typos et al. in Chapter 2 (draft downloaded 22 June 2010)
Not so much a typo but a stylistic/language issue:

Last sentence on page 71 ends with: "...the family saloon." As I have found with my American relatives and friends, 'saloon' does not mean what it does to us Brits in this context. Cowboys drink in saloons, families travel in sedans (or more likely SUVs nowadays). They also, in my experience, find britishisms more confusing than we find americanisms, due no doubt to the state of the British movie-making industry.

Phew, that's a lot of verbiage talking about one insignificant word - sorry.
matt.pearson (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks icogs, will amend.

I'm pretty sure no-one in the US is going to have any idea who Christine Keeler is either, who I reference in the Blake section. I fought to keep that reference in though, simply because I can think of no better evocation of a "defiant straddle".

http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/imageaxd.jpeg
codersquid (1) [Avatar] Offline
minor typographic feedback for "Table 2.1 The most common Processing data types"

char varName =‘a’;

String varName = “hello”;

These two entries in the table are typed in a font that makes the first quotes look backwards. e.g. for a single quote, it looks a little like a back tic. `a' I don't know if that will confuse people new to programming or not.
Last sentence in section 2.2.3 reads:

Table 6.1 lists all the built in variable data
types you have to choose from.

Obviously that should read Table 2.1
Examples of logical operators section 2.3.4:

if (likeStr == “pina collada”) || (likeStr == “getting lost in the rain”)
{
println(“come with me and escape”);
}

Needs either extra parenthesis i.e.:
if ( (likeStr == “pina collada”) || (likeStr == “getting lost in the rain”) ){...

or remove closing and opening parenthesis either side of ||, relying on operator precedence.

Same error further down:
if (man == 5) && (devil == 6) && (god == 7)) {

should be:
if ((man == 5) && (devil == 6) && (god == 7)) {

Message was edited by:
icogs