The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

stefano.mostarda (47) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Guys,

The manuscript is over and now we are in the reviewing phase. Now I need your opinion.
Do you think that VB code is necessary?

we have three options:

1) include both VB and C# in the book
2) Include only C# in the book and leave VB as a separate download
3) Completely ignore VB

I don't want to influence you so I won't tell you what I think smilie. what is your favorite way?

Byez
Stefano
johnicello (8) [Avatar] Offline
Re: C# and VB or only C#?
I personally don't like Vb.net. However, from time to time, I've had to code in it over the years, for different reasons. Therefore, it would be nice to have as a reference, but I would be happy with it as a separate download, assuming it's easy to match up the examples in the book.
Maziar (1) [Avatar] Offline
C# as the main language and include VB as a separate download, Then an space would be opened to include some extra chapters.
I personally have no confidence about a book less than 600 pages.
sbscomp (1) [Avatar] Offline
I personally find that it's much easier to translate from C# to VB as needed, given that C# is a more strongly-typed language, so I'd prefer to see the extra space devoted to more important things.
XTab (10) [Avatar] Offline
There are still countless VB developers out there who, despite the views of many C# developers, aren't really still stuck in the Stome Age :-}
You should definitely include VB code samples, but they are fine as a separate download. .
mrjimmy (5) [Avatar] Offline
If you absolutely must include VB, put it AFTER the C#. C# is the preferred language among serious developers so putting it first makes it easier to ignore the VB.
A huge problem with books that show both languages has always been that they write the VB code first,, then copy, paste and modify it to C# and then don't test it. There are always a lot of errors in the book because of this.