The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Old newbie (3) [Avatar] Offline
Digging in Google I've found that the Android platform has added support for Python, Lua, and BeanShell, and coming soon Ruby and JavaScript.

Regarding the former: is there any reference to this?

I am particularly interested in Python, and I think it would not be the only happy if I could avoid using Java to program Android.
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Using other languages (II)
If you want to program for Android your best bet is Java.

You can look at the Android Scripting Engine for doing certain things with scripting languages. Here is an example of using the ASE with Python -- the article is about a year old and I have not really spent much energy with ASE since then. Hopefully it is of interest and value to you:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7370

good luck

Frank
mejohnsn (22) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Using other languages (II)
I agree. Java is the language that OHA is most likely to keep working well for Android.

Specifically, whenever OHA makes a change to the code, they put all their effort (such as it is) into making sure it works when called from Java.

Sure, there are a few wroking on odd things like Python Scala or Ruby on the Android platform, but I have to disagree with the poster who claimed that Google had added this: every source that I have saeen has shown only third parties supporting their favored language. But they will always be behind the curve compared to Google and the rest of the OHA.

As an example of how they will always be behind the curve: all the documentation, all the tutorials and all the books (such as Unlocking Android) cover the use of Java with the new APIs. Finding comparable material for another language is like a quest for the Philosopher's Stone: doomed to disappointment.

Now of course, I realize the 2nd edition of "Unlocking Android" is going to cover the NDK, which in turn is basic to implementations of other languages on Android. But I am not seeing any announcement that it will cover anything else about support for other languages, nor would I expect it; such support is still in its infancy.