The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Old newbie (3) [Avatar] Offline
Is the develop in languages other that Java -I.e. C/C++- strictly forbiden in Android?
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Using other languages
The SDK provides for Java only. The bulk of the book covers Java.

There is a NDK (native developer kit) which allows you to develop "JNI" or Java Native Interface libraries to give you access to C coding.

It is also possible to write code in C and install it to a rooted device.

All three of these topics are covered in the book.

Frank
Old newbie (3) [Avatar] Offline
Frank:

Thank you very much for your input.

I suspect that there must be some corner to do that because the SQLite debase has been written entirely in C and apparently has been included in the bundle.

Any way I must improve my Java skills and jargon, because still I don't understand what means "to write code in C and install it to a rooted device".
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
In Chapter 13 we demonstrate using C for talking to a SQLite db, but you're right -- you need to sharpen Java skills for day to day Android work!

Thanks for your support and feedback!

Frank
thlm (3) [Avatar] Offline
You can also write applications using HTML 5, Javascript and CSS, then converting to native Android app using PhoneGap, Appcelerator Titanium or another similar tool.