The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

theghostjw (2) [Avatar] Offline
In the following paragraph I think the info re licensing is misleading. I seemed to remember reading differently when I installed VS2010 recently a Google search confirmed this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/779604/is-a-separate-visual-studio-license-required-for-a-build-machine

6.3.3 MSTest in non-TFS environment
There are times when you need to go against the river flow and integrate MSTest with third
party CI server. You have to go against the river flow because unfortunately, MSTest is not a
framework itself. It is part of Visual Studio and the TFS environment. This means that you
cannot take only the MSTest executables and run them friction free on the build server. You
will have to install Visual Studio on the build server, do a lot of manual hacking to make it
work without Visual Studio or use some third party test runners for MSTest. By installing
Visual Studio on the build machine you are contrary to the rule of a vanilla server that has as
few external dependencies as possible. It also means

Message was edited by:
theghostjw
craig.berntson (25) [Avatar] Offline
Re: I think you got the bit about licensing wrong
Lots of rumours, and speculation in that thread. I read things like "I think", and "I heard". Rather than speculating, it's best to ask Microsoft directly, which is what I did. The bottom line is that MSBuild is free. It comes with the .NET Framework. MSTest is not free. It is part of Visual Studio and TFS. If you want to install Visual Studio on a build server, you need to purchase a separate license for it.