The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

gdjsky01 (5) [Avatar] Offline
Can you give me a better sense of where you are taking the book technically? Will everything be as abstract as the 1st chapter? In other words what will I learn to build? Are you going to show examples of using real services, with real code and APIs? Write about about using services in my code? And for what platform? Or does it matter?

I get no sense from the chapters list or the (lack of) description of the book what exactly I would learn. Is it all high level and theory? Or are we going to build some applications?

thanks for any insight.
richard.ferraro (3) [Avatar] Offline
Re: What level of abstraction is the book?
Dear reader,

Thank you for your comments.

The book provides the basic toolkit to allow developers to choose the most appropriate mapping provider, mapping content/APIs and mobile platform according to the type of service that is to be launched.

There are plenty of real examples, with code samples covering all major mobile platforms, from JME to iPhone and Android.

But the book aims to be much more than just a pure technical book -it provides guidance to developers for dealing with issues related to location-aware apps (such as privacy issues, discoverability of apps and monetization).

We believe that today's challenge is not only to develop great apps, but to get others to find them and to make money out of their development.