The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

sdbps (10) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I was just reading page 180 which discusses the constructor constraint with the following example:

public T CreateInstance<T>() where T : new()
{
return new T();
}

Next, the book states "CreateInstance<int>();...[is] ok." I thought I found a bug, as an int is a value type, but then I tried it out in VS 2010 and IntelliSense showed that int was a "reference" to Int32, which was an object wrapper for int. I was aware of Int32, but I didn't realize you could use it in this way.

I think I've got it - am I correct ?

Thanks,

Scott
Re: Value type not really a value type in constructor type constraint examp
Oops. It's actually page 77 in the hard copy of the book...it's page 180 in Adobe...duh.

Scott
mgravell (64) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Value type not really a value type in constructor type constraint example ?
It is an *alias*, not a reference; int === System.Int32.

All value-types implicitly (in C#, at least) qualify as having a public parameterless constructor, so they are fine with " : new()". For example, you can also write:

int i = new int();

which is identical to either:

int j = default(int);
int k = 0;

If the example said ": class" (which doesn't mean class, but means reference-type) it would fail.

Re intellisense - for me is says it *represents* a 32-bit signed integer; it doesn't mention "reference".

Message was edited by:
mgravell
Re: Value type not really a value type in constructor type constraint examp
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I know reference was the wrong description; thanks for suggesting alias/represents. Thanks for the explanation, too.

Scott