bryan.ewert (3) [Avatar] Offline
#1
I'm working my way through Chapter 11 for the second time, trying to recreate the wiki application on my own based on what I've learned. I'm being stymied by Visual C# 2008 Express. The problem is that Visual Studio is not updating the project binaries after I make changes to code. This problem persists even if I shut down and restart Visual Studio, reload the project, and "Build > Rebuild Solution." My only recourse is to manually delete the binaries (e.g. 'bin' and 'obj' folders). However, I can't do this while Visual Studio is running (Windows complains that the files are in use), so I must exit Visual Studio, kill the folders, restart Visual Studio, rebuild and run. As you can imagine, this is highly unproductive. Can anyone provide me with clues as to what's wrong—and how to fix it so I can move forward?

I'll clarify here that I don't believe this is an issue with the contents of "WPF In Action." But I'm relying on the fact that this community will have experience with WPF development, and might have encountered this.
bryan.ewert (3) [Avatar] Offline
#2
Re: Visual C# 2008 Express not updating binaries after code changes (Ch. 11)
I installed Visual C# 2010 Express to see if that improved matters. It didn't.

I deleted both the 'obj' and 'bin' folders from the project, loaded the wiki solution into Visual Studio 2010, and ran the project. I closed the application, modified a string in the Wiki class (the name of the 'Home' directory) and ran the project again. I confirmed that the timestamp for the executable indicated the most recent build, yet the application still represented the old string.
bryan.ewert (3) [Avatar] Offline
#3
Re: Visual C# 2008 Express not updating binaries after code changes (Ch. 11)
<sigh> Ignore this entire thread. I've just figured out my error. I had implemented the Save() and Load() methods in the Wiki class, and on load the application was simply loading the previously generated directory structure. This, of course, usurped any of the values I was modifying in the default page constructors. Deleting the binaries worked because this also deleted the "wikiPages.xml" data file.

Sorry for the false alarm. <smacks head>