The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mwkohout (5) [Avatar] Offline
Hey...is the second edition of the book going to talk about setting up the toolchain for alternative jvm languages or IDEs?
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Android and Scala and Netbeans
At present we are not planning anything on Scala or Netbeans. I believe Robi may have some interest in Scala. Do you have something in particular you would like to see covered here or is this just a curiousity for you?

Frank
I think the most important thing would just be setting up the toolchain. The process is a bit voodooish.

I think even a little bit would be helpful for the book because many people (such as myself) shudder when they think of Java development. At least hinting at alternate setups and languages might widen the book's audience.
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
Do you use netbeans or Scala today?
Yes, for some server side development.

For that, setup is pretty straightforward. For Android, a bit less so.

In the end, I was able to hack something together using a scala sbt plugin. Less than ideal(I prefer an IDE when developing) but still tolerable.