chenli868 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Regina,
Could you add an extra chapter in PART I - Learning PostGIS about how to draw some special (but frequently used) shapes?
I am looking for "circle sector" in particular. I can use polygon to approximate one at present. And I cannot use the curved polygon as I need to use st_contains, st_intersects functions.
regina.leo (265) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Extra chapter about drawing shapes
Li Chen,

Can you use curved polygon and then use ST_CurveToLine function to convert it back to regular polygon? Or did you get errors doing that?
chenli868 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks,

Did not find that function when I post it. I tried it and it works great.
Still, adding an appendix for drawing simple geometries would be interesting ^_^
regina.leo (265) [Avatar] Offline
We'll se what we can do. As it stands our appendices are 1/3-1/4 the size of the whole book. I guess kind of big as appendix go. Even without the appendix we are a wee bit above our original target page count.

Think the book at the moment with appendix and all is running about 460 pages if we include the last two chapters we are finishing off. People also seem to want more pictures so I guess the book may become a bit fatter. Hopefully we can cut out some of our diatribes to bring the page count back down a bit.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina