The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

spai (2) [Avatar] Offline
Dear Robert,
Thanks for making "R in Action" available ahead of printing.
Am wondering if there are plans for including even a small section on exception handling. Even if such a section were a "guidepost", highlighting some key functions (tryCatch, browser - I see you have briefly mentioned warning() and stop()) in an inset box, it would be a useful starting point to learn about debugging in R.

The kind of question that got me started on this line was: "How do I get R to pause execution whenever there is any warning message of any kind?" and now am scouring the web for the answer.
Even warning() and stop() seem to be functions that one puts specifically within a subroutine, whiel it would be good to know if R has global "exception handling config" settings, for e.g.

Love the website and visit it all the time!
Regards,
Shraddha Pai
robert.kabacoff (170) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Exception handling
Dear Shraddha,

It is a good idea. I will definitely consider adding some info on this topic. In the mean time, the best online source I have seen is

http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/debuggingR/

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Rob