The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

hhildebr (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
I just got the 2nd ed of "Unlocking Android" in MEAP and - while waiting for new chapters to come out - are reading the book's 1st ed. I'm currently in chapter 3 and a little unhappy with the presentation of the example - it's too much at once! The acitivity's code references all kinds of things - other layout, strings, styles etc. So to get it to compile in Eclipse I have to skip ahead and complete all the other files. Or copy them from the online source code. Both is unsatisfatory, since you don't get a feeling for what's going on.

Personally, I would prefer a step-by-step and more user-centric approach: What does the user want to do? How should the app's layout be (maybe a sketch first, then guide the reader through composing that in ADT)? Compile, run. How to change the text color etc? Compile, run. Next populate the spinner's entries. Etcpp.

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie in Android development, but for me that would work better.

I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the book!
Hauke
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 3 - smaller steps
Hauke

Thanks for the feedback -- I'll have a look at the example!

Frank
rtayek (27) [Avatar] Offline
hi, i'm also a newbie. our local embedded java user group (ocejug.org) has been fooling around with phones for a while, so i thought i would try it out.

trying to go through chapter 3 in the first edition. can't seem to find the Review class. have you run across it?

thanks
hhildebr (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
I'm not completely sure what you mean. Are you looking for something like a Review "entity" class? I think there is no such thing, rather there are the different activities dealing with reviews. ReviewDetails might be closest to what you expect, since it's the screen giving you the various properties of a review.
VidhyaR (4) [Avatar] Offline
Yes I second this. I too came to the forum looking for help and source code (BTW I am reading the 3rd chap of second edition and I havnt read the first edition).
thanks
ddmanlin (2) [Avatar] Offline
I support Hauke. The chapter 3 isn't organized from reader's purpose, but the writer - for example, the ReviewList Activity is separate to two code snaps, but I think it put not highly related method together. This make the reader doing context switch when read the book. I've spend several hours reading less than 10 pages in ch3, and I have to figure out a lot of thinks by myself.

Also, if other supported stuffs (those in /res, layout, etc.) are not so important to the readers in this chapter, maybe you can create a project with all the supportive stuff, but leave reader to code the main classes by himself. That will make more sense to me.

Can't wait to see the book!
Dave
thlm (3) [Avatar] Offline
The class RestaurantFinderApplication that extends Application is not in the book either. Can the project even compile without defining that class?