almansur (2) [Avatar] Offline
#1
Page 74
string methods uppercase, lowercase and letters require "ascii_" prefix.

Page 77
Bullets 3 and 4 descriptions say left but should say right justification for the > specifier.

Page 80
bytes object values from 0 to 255 (not 0 to 256, unless Python has extra large bytes).


I'm still reading and loving it!

Al
naomi.ceder (134) [Avatar] Offline
#2
Re: Errata
> Page 74
> string methods uppercase, lowercase and letters
> require "ascii_" prefix.

Quite right - that slipped by everyone.

> Page 77
> Bullets 3 and 4 descriptions say left but should say
> right justification for the > specifier.

Yep, good catch.

> Page 80
> bytes object values from 0 to 255 (not 0 to 256,
> unless Python has extra large bytes).

Doh! A classic case of confusing the number of values and the maximum value...

>
> I'm still reading and loving it!

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the error reports!

Cheers,
Vern

> Al
iains (2) [Avatar] Offline
#3
Re: Errata
p41. Built in numeric functions
4.6.1 'cmp', 'coerce', 'long' no longer exist from version 3.0

4.6.2 advanced numeric functions
'mod' doesn't exist 'modf' does

The list of functions is incomplete (acosh, asinh, atanh, factorial etc )
see ..
>> import math
>> dir(math)

p42. 4.6.5 similarly incomplete is ...
>>> import cmath
>>> dir(cmath)

P62. 5.9

"note that there are a few more list methods ... this chapter. You'll
find details in the appendix."

Not there !


Chapter 6 String Methods

examples do not follow text section numbering

"6.6. Using the format method" not in download (6.6 formatting with %)


p96 8.5 (foot page 96) '.. may be placed after the semicolon..' should be
'colon' ?

p101 Listing 8.1
foot of page
line missing (by 'Prints answers)
(line,

cw with examples file listing "word_count.py"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoying working my way through the book - thanks
Iain
naomi.ceder (134) [Avatar] Offline
#4
Re: Errata
Thanks for all the fixes, Iain!

Cheers,
Vern