The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

concejero (1) [Avatar] Offline
Maybe said before, sorry I have not read all threads. I have read chap. 1 available online. You say your PC has 2mg. RAM, and a Mac can use all 4mg. of RAM if installed. I suppose you mean 2 GBytes RAM. A Mac can use 4, 8, 12, 16 GB of RAM if available and if O.S. is snow leopard. You need 64 bit R for handling >3.5GB objects, and these are only freely available for Linux 64 bit OS's and for Mac Snow Leopard (10.6). With these you can use up to the installed RAM.
robert.kabacoff (170) [Avatar] Offline
Re: tiny comment on intro
This is definately a typo. I meant to indicate that I was using a PC with 2 Gb of RAM and a Mac with 4 Gb of RAM.

You are absolutely right. I did not mean to imply that R could use all of this memory. I was just giving a ballpark example of the problem size that I work with on my own machines. In the Appendix, I will talk specifically about R limitations and methods for overcoming them.

Thanks for catching this! I will clarify this and make the corrections.

Sincerely,

Rob
rmsharp (7) [Avatar] Offline
Gb stands for gigabits. You want to say gigabytes, which is GB.
robert.kabacoff (170) [Avatar] Offline
You are right of course. Thank you for catching this!

Rob