The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

kjblack (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

First, thank you for your efforts on this book. I just got a copy and have started looking through it. There are far too few texts on this piece of software.

I have one comment and would like to share. In section 1.3.3 you discuss how to set the current working directory. This is something that students struggle with. You might want to add a comment that if you want to change the directory in windows you can do so from the file menu.

There is an option to set it through one of the options in the file drop down menu. It is an idea that does not really register with young people who are used to just opening a file through mouse clicks rather than entering commands. (For example, it is difficult using emails to explain this idea.) Having a screen shot of this process would be very helpful.

Sincerely,
Kelly Black
robert.kabacoff (170) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Setting the Current Working Directory (sect. 1.3.3)
Dear Kelly,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to incorporate it.

Sincerely,

Rob