The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

bear.cahill (22) [Avatar] Offline
I'd be curious to know of those reading the book, what is your dev background/experience?

I did BASIC growing up, Pascal/C in college, C++/SQL/Java at Ericsson (93-01), Java/SQL at Travelocity (01-03), C#/Java/SQL at eInstruction (03-0smilie and Objective-C/Cocoa since then.

I've done some Perl, HTML, MySQL, GWT, etc. sprinkled in there too.
dwhite (6) [Avatar] Offline
Re: What's your dev experience?
I started with BASIC on the Commodore 64, did C++/VB in college, then moved to ASP and VB.NET, and ended up sticking with C#, ASP.NET, Silverlight, etc. Mostly web technologies. Lately I've been into Rails and mobile development on Android with Java, and the iPhone with Objective-C. I'm always looking to learn more things, and looking forward to your book.
Thanks for the info. I did a little ASP and I have a web dev that does most of my server work in Rails. Good stuff!
nixname (2) [Avatar] Offline
Basic, Cobol, Pascal, and C++ at college. Mostly Delphi since then with some VB. Developing apps for the education industry, mostly qualifications achievement monitoring, and reporting.

Nick
me123669 (2) [Avatar] Offline
i have done some work in VB for a few months
but when i switched to mac, i started learning about objective C and later i wrote some basic web apps for friends
ciatog (2) [Avatar] Offline
I started with Java in college. First job was exclusively .NET. Second job was a mixture of .NET and PHP. Third job was exclusively .NET and my current job is a mix of Ruby, .NET & PHP and recently we've started developing apps for iPhone and Android.

Each job involved lots of SQL (mostly MSSQL & MySQL with a little Pervasive and Postgres), HTML/Javascript, XML & XSLT (a little XSLFO)
AidenMontgomery (4) [Avatar] Offline
I copied BASIC out of magazines in the late 80's early 90's, Pascal in 6th Form (97 -99), C++ in University (99 - 03), C# (ASP.net)/MSSQL at Fujistu Siemens Computers (01 - 02), C# (WinForms+ ASP.net)
/MSSQL (03 - 07) at Tesco.com, C# (ASP.net)/MSSQL (07 - 0smilie at Wile Ltd, consulting since 09 - present and have been using C# (ASP.net MVC)/MSSQL, Objective-C (iOS), Java (Android), node.js/MongoDB/Redis/CoffeeScript as back end services for mobile applications and HTML/CSS/JavaScript during all of these positions.

I dabbled in PHP/MySQL/VBScript during my spare time at college and university. Started to learn Ruby last year but then found node.js to be more useful to me at the time.
Sounds like a great variety - I find that helps learn other things better and faster.