The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

serverdude (24) [Avatar] Offline
Figure 5.4 p. 177
Shouldn't one of the exports 'export javax.servlet version="2.4.0"' have been
'export javax.servlet.http version="2.4.0"' both on a) and b)
looking at figure 5.9 (p.191) then - for consistency - the declaration at the top of the bundle of figure 5.4 should be 'javax.servlet.http'

Section 5.2.3 p. 186 2nd paragraph, 2nd last line:
'By now you must be wonder___ what's the difference between the two?'
'By now you must be wondering what's the difference between the two?'

Section 5.4 p. 196 1st paragraph of section 3rd line:
'as a container to help you turn locale-neutral keys into local -specific objects.'
'as a container to help you turn locale-neutral keys into locale-specific objects.'

Table 5.1 p.203-205 split over multiple pages yet page 204 only holds table headers. Probably the same issue I posted regarding figure 4.8 - figures and tables moving about.

Section 5.6.1 p.210 3rd line (from the top) - I guess 'activate' is the correct term missing.
'The framework does not ________ the bundles as it loads classes from them,'
'The framework does not activate the bundles as it loads classes from them,'

Section 5.6.2 p.211 2nd paragraph 2nd line, I believe we learn about Bundle.start() in chapter 3:
' In chapter _, we learned about using Bundle.start() to start and eagerly activate a bundle.'
' In chapter 3, we learned about using Bundle.start() to start and eagerly activate a bundle.'

best regards
richard.hall (87) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 5 - errata
> Figure 5.4 p. 177
> Shouldn't one of the exports 'export javax.servlet
> t version="2.4.0"' have been
> 'export javax.servlet.http version="2.4.0"' both on
> n a) and b)
> looking at figure 5.9 (p.191) then - for consistency
> y - the declaration at the top of the bundle of
> figure 5.4 should be 'javax.servlet.http'

Good catch. Fixed.

> Section 5.2.3 p. 186 2nd paragraph, 2nd last line:
> 'By now you must be wonder___ what's the difference
> e between the two?'
> 'By now you must be wondering what's the
> e difference between the two?'
>
> Section 5.4 p. 196 1st paragraph of section 3rd
> line:
> 'as a container to help you turn locale-neutral keys
> s into local -specific objects.'
> 'as a container to help you turn locale-neutral keys
> s into locale-specific objects.'

Both fixed.

> Table 5.1 p.203-205 split over multiple pages yet
> page 204 only holds table headers. Probably the same
> issue I posted regarding figure 4.8 - figures and
> tables moving about.

Yeah. I am assuming that figures and tables are placed correctly in final production.

> Section 5.6.1 p.210 3rd line (from the top) - I guess
> 'activate' is the correct term missing.
> 'The framework does not ________ the bundles as it
> t loads classes from them,'
> 'The framework does not activate the bundles
> s as it loads classes from them,'
>
> Section 5.6.2 p.211 2nd paragraph 2nd line, I believe
> we learn about Bundle.start() in chapter 3:
> ' In chapter _, we learned about using
> g Bundle.start() to start and eagerly activate a
> bundle.'
> ' In chapter 3, we learned about using
> g Bundle.start() to start and eagerly activate a
> bundle.'

Both fixed.

Thanks.
jpclouse (8) [Avatar] Offline
1. Figure 5.7 text on page 183 separates the two parts of the sentence with a comma. I believe a semicolon or a period is required.
2. On page 183 is the sentence "The trick is the bundle doesn't actually contain to separate sets of classes for the two exported packages." Change "to" to "two."
3. On page 191 is the sentence "These two example should illustrate the differences between these two mechanisms." Pluralize "example."
4. On page 199 is the sentence "Note that we do not need to do any special to define a bundle as a host, any bundle without a Fragment-Host header is a potential host bundle." "any" should be "anything" and it seems that the comma should be replace with a colon.
5. Spanning pages 201 and 202 is the sentence "ShapeTracker injected service into the PaintFrame using its addShape() method as depicted in Listing 5.4." "service" should be pluralized.
6. On page 202, in the sentence starting with "The exact details are not so import, but...", change "import" to "important."
7. On page 206 the sentence starting with "The reason this is tied to the bundle's resolved state is it possible the execution environment changes over time..." doesn't seem quite right gramatically. Do you need to add "is" after the word "it," or change "is it possible" to "is that it is."
8. On page 206 is the sentence "A given framework implementation can claim to provide more than one execution environment, since it most case the Java platform versions are backwards compatible." "since it most case" should be "since in most cases."
9. On page 211 is the sentence "The framework does not the bundles as it loads classes from them, since this can lead to arcane class loading errors." The verb is missing.
10. On page 211 is the sentence "Since lazy activation is currently the only supported policy, this head can only have one value, which is lazy." "head" should be "header."
richard.hall (87) [Avatar] Offline
I've addressed all of your comments, thanks.
tboemker@elynx.com (7) [Avatar] Offline
p. 187: samples refer to osprocessor, but parameter name is given as processor on p. 186.