The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

serverdude (24) [Avatar] Offline
Bookmarks for chapters.

Only chapter 4 has a bookmark for the entire chapter. The following chapters appears as subsections to chapter 4. As seen in Adobe Acrobat Reader v.9 and PDFxchange Viewer v.2
Re: Formatting
Having 'ΓΈ' (the oslash character) in my name I find it substituted by '??' in the footer 'Licensed to ... '
richard.hall (87) [Avatar] Offline
I am not sure what you are talking about. Is this some sort of indexing or table of contents in the PDF file? We are not doing anything with that as far as I am aware.
I'm not quite sure how the PDF readers create the bookmarks for navigation, it just seems as though they are missing full chapter anchors - except for chapter 4 - and that the anchors since chapter 4 are nested inside that chapter.

I checked some other Manning PDFs (Flex On Java, JUnit in Action, and The Engaging Web) but they're created by Acrobat Distiller for Word, and they seem to have the bookmarks sorted. Perhaps it is a bug in OpenOffice Writers export to PDF, perhaps it's something else. I don't think Tiffany does any weird stuff when creating the PDFs.

Could be that there's a 'section heading becomes a bookmark anchor' thing, at least it's only a minor issue and only relevant for the PDF version.
Hopefully it will be fixed in the final version.
Reference anchors in listings are inconsistent, not that it really matters, it's just inconsistent.

Usual scheme is #{alpha} or #{numeric}, e.g. '#A' and '#1' respectively.

in Chapter 13 the [{numeric}], e.g. '[1]' is used
Yep, I am fixing those. Thanks.