MarkEHansen (4) [Avatar] Offline
I'm running JBoss Application Server 5.1.0.GA and just downloaded the examples for this book in JBoss format, but they don't appear to work under this version of JBoss. Before I get too far into determining what's wrong and how to correct it, I thought I would see if someone has already solved it.

When I run the "ant" task in the top-level examples directory, it installs the JMS deployment descriptor file (but nothing else). However, when I move into the Chapter1 directory and attempt to build, it is not finding the javax.ejb package, and so can't resolve the reference to "@Remote" used in the HelloUser.java source.

I've looked through the errata and searched other posts on the forum, but have not been able to find a solution.

I expect that I will be able to resolve the issue by changing the classpath configured in the common.xml build script, but I"m thinking there may be bigger problems here. The common.xml Ant script is adding the jar "jboss-ejb3x.jar" to the classpath, while that jar doesn't exist in this version of JBoss AS.

Any insight?

Thanks,
reza_rahman (456) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Will the JBoss examples run under JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA?
Mark,

Please look at some of the past threads on this. We currently do not support JBoss 5 but this has been on the radar. The issue on our end is dedicating more time to this given the life--cycle of Java EE 5/EJB 3 vis-a-vis Java EE 6/EJB 3.1/CDI.

Hope it helps,
Reza
MarkEHansen (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks, Reza. I basically gave up on trying to run the examples. Instead, I'm using a J2EE application from a tutorial that I used recently. It includes an entity object, a session bean used as an Entity Facade and a Servlet among other components.

With this, I've been able to follow along most of the discussion in the book and even make some changes to see how the application reacts. This has been quite effective and the book has really been an enormous help to me.

Thanks,
reza_rahman (456) [Avatar] Offline
Mark,

Very glad to hear it. If you can spare a moment, please do consider sharing your thoughts with other folks by perhaps writing a review on Amazon.com. If you've read recent posts, you've probably figured out we are trying to start work on the second edition. When we can get things aligned on that end, we'll try to gather as much feedback from readers like yourself as we can to try to truly create a stellar second edition...

Cheers,
Reza