PavelPrus (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,Vern
I hesitate whether to order the 2nd edition or not, cos I am interested in Python 2.x rather than 3.x. So Is your edition gonna cover the Python 2.x as well or all the text and examples gradually introduce Python 3 only? Thanks
naomi.ceder (134) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Will the 2nd edition still cover Python 2.x?
Hi,

The 2nd edition is specific to Python 3, so most of the code examples will not work on Python 2.x. Of course the first edition is specific to Python 1.5, so while its code will work on 2.x, it doesn't have the many new features introduced in Python 2.x.

So unfortunately, if you need both 2 and 3 in one book, this book isn't it. In fact, I don't know of any books that currently do that.

You might instead try to cover 2.x with one of the free online books, and use this as your reference for Python 3.

Hope this helps and that you find what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Vern

Message was edited by:
vernon.ceder
PavelPrus (2) [Avatar] Offline
what an instant reply! thanxxsmilie.Well as far I can see, you mention the Django web framework in the 2 nd edition, which doesn't support Python 3 at all. Actually the reason I wanna learn Python 2.x is my strong wish to dive into the awesome Django firmly. Any ideas?
Yeah, actually the mention of django is from old copy written when we were still hoping that it would be ported to Python 3 by publication time. In fact, we discuss WSGI web apps in general, but not django in particular, since django's Python 3 support is still highly experimental.

There are a lot of django books out there... you might check out the book written by the project creators - http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/ - which is free and available online. Otherwise, I'm not sure - I have a couple other ones at home, but haven't had the chance to look at them yet.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vern
xjqian (1) [Avatar] Offline
"an e-book version of the first edition is included with all orders direct from the Manning web site."

Do you know the detail about this? Is the information about getting the first edition included in the order confirmation or in the printed book.

Regards
Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Actually, I don't know the details on the ebook of the first ed, but it's my understanding that it will be available to anyone who owns the 2nd edition, no matter how they acquired it.

I'll ask the marketing people and get back to you.

Cheers,
Vern
Gordon,

Actually, the offer of the 1st edition was only during the Manning Early Access Program. Now that the book has been published, the plan is to offer an ebook version of the 2nd edition to everyone who buys the paper book. Owners of the paper book get a link for the ebook when they register on the book's manning.com page.

Sorry about my confusion.

Cheers,
Vern

Message was edited by:
vernon.ceder