OpenSourcer (6) [Avatar] Offline
Listing 2.2 - Perhaps it is a QGIS problem but there is no entry for the open linestring when connected to database via QGIS. Same goes for listing 2.6 - self-intersecting polygon does not appear.

Page 35 - first line - spacing between "using" and "a" needs to be removed.

Page 44 -5th line - "an" M should be replaced by "a" M. Vowel rules.
regina.leo (265) [Avatar] Offline
Re: errors - Chapter 2
Thanks we'll check these out and make the appropriate corrections.

Regina
Which version of QGIS are you using? I think Quantum at least as I recall had issues if you have more than one geometry column. OpenJump has issues. I'll have to test that out to verify if its still the case.

Now the "an" vs. "a" issue. That has always confused me too, but I verified -- its not whether the letter is a vowel that matters, but whether the sound it makes is a vowel. So since M makes an "eh" vowelish sound it should be "an"

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/591/1

see the note at bottom
"Note: The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter. If the first letter makes a vowel-type "

Thanks,
Regina
OpenSourcer (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Regina. I'm using QGIS version 1.3.0.

"an" vs "a" - I wont argue, I ain't a language guru smilie But I learnt something new, that's always good.

I hope you don't mind me writing these comments. Ignore the really silly ones. These will be comments from someone who is a complete newbie and reading your book for the first time and basically learning PostGIS for the first time. smilie

Just to give you details of what versions I've installed.
Ive installed PostGIS 1.4.0.
PostgreSQL - 8.4
You might want to try out the new PostGIS 1.5 (well its not out yet but should be end this month).

It has the new cool geography type that we talk about later in the book and that we are amending old chapters with. If you are on windows, you can get the latest binaries from here

http://www.postgis.org/download/windows/experimental.php

-- You can run both PostGIS 1.4 and 1.5 on the same PostgreSQL install as long as they are in different databases.

Its always good to get a newbie perspective on things, since I think we assume too much or too little about what people know coming from othe backgrounds so hard to strike a good balance.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
hglaser (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,
I'm working on Ch 2 using postgres 8.4 and postgis 1.5.1

I tested these apps to see the data: QGis 1.0, uDig 1.1.1, and OpenJump 1.3.1
QGIS was the only app that consistently connected to the db and displayed the data , except for the invalid polygon.
uDig connected just fine, but was 1 out of 2 in showing data in the map.
OpenJump had trouble just connecting to the db and displayed only the points

What's the best way to get around the connection issue?
I did get messages in OpenJump about needing a primary key field as int4.

Cheers,
Holly
Holly,

Which operating system are you on?

We were testing on Windows Xp and Windows Vista (at the time though now we are running windows 7) and don't recall running into issues with OpenJump (at least not the ad-hoc query feature). Though OpenJump still seems fine on windows 7.

We did run into issues with uDig though and the non-ad hoc query feature (the part that lets you pick the tables and columns) of OpenJump we do sometimes run into issues.

Also wondering if the Java JRE installed makes a difference. Can't recall if we were testing with JRE 1.5 or 1.6 or both. Will have to try that again.

Thanks,
Leo
hglaser (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hello-
The OS is Windows 7 home premium
4Gb RAM
64 bit
Intel core duo cpu

Thanks,
Holly
Holly,
We are running 32-bit. I suppose it could be something to do with Java running in 64-bit. Both OpenJump and uDig are written in Java where as Quantum is written in C/C++.

Haven't had a chance to retry the examples. Is it all you are having trouble with or a particular one. Are you using the ad-hoc query feature in OpenJump or the select table --> column mode?

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
map_blind (10) [Avatar] Offline
Pg 7- 2.2.2 Points line 6 - but PostGis does not take have - suggest removing take

The Listing/Figure numeration seems to jump the tracks at Figure 2.3. I imagine that the Select wasn't viewed as a full 'Listing', but hereinafter the Listings are off by one against their Figures (though in some cases there are no listings for the figures). Anyway, it looks like off by one, that's my story....

Pg 17- 1st line - but for many modeling cases -> but for many cases modeling...

Thanks for this great book and the batch geoprocessor - 52495 addresses in a mere 71753015ms, but now its done!
Chris,

Thanks, for the catch. We were trying to change a lot of the listings to code in text since we went overboard with code listings. I guess we missed renumbering.
jmhutchison (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
I am having the same issue as Holly with OpenJump, but I am using Windows Vista x32. I can add only the points through the 'Add datastore layer' approach, but can add each of the points, lines and polygons using 'Run datastore query'. No problems at all with QGIS.
I recall the data store layer not behaving with multi geometry columns. We usually just use the ad hoc query since we do complicated joins and unions that the add data source layer wouldn't support.

Which veriosn of OpenJump are you using? We were about to try 1.4 which recently came out.