Mercia (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

I want to learn Python 3 so I can use and be ready for the latest version of the language but did not see in your introduction where you mentioned the version number the book covers. From what I know about the differences Python 3 made the print statement a funtion so it would be print() whereas the code I saw in your book in the initial sample lacked the parentheses so does this mean your book does not cover Python 3 or just that early sample? I realise this would mean extra work on your part but I believe it would mean more sales if you covered Python 3 or even both versions.

Thanks in advance,

M.
anthony.briggs (30) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Version?
Hi Mercia,

Hello! Python relies heavily on external libraries, so at this stage the book is primarily Python2.6. I'll cover Python 3 where it makes sense, but until there are libraries which support it (eg. Twisted, Pyglet, WxWindows, etc.) the coverage will probably be pretty light.

I suspect that that sort of support is probably at least 12 months away, particularly for production use.

Hope that helps,

Anthony
cryptoretro (1) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Version?
Hello Anthony,
It has been just over a year now since this post. I have been learning Python 3 using other books. Can you tell me the major concerns of learning Py3 over Py2.7.

Does your book now have material covering more on Python 3?

I have both 2.7 and 3.1.2 installed on a Fedora machine.

Thank you,

Erik