The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

russellh (2) [Avatar] Offline
I just installed PostgreSQL and PostGIS on my Windows Vista laptop. The first thing I tried was SELECT version(). It worked. The second thing I tried was SELECT postgis_full_version(). I got the error message "postgis_full_version() does not exist".

I'm new to PostgreSQL and don't know much about configuration. The book looks great as far as I got, and I'm anxious to get going.

Thank you for your help.
regina.leo (265) [Avatar] Offline
Re: postgis_full_version() does not exist
Russell,

Did you create a new database and choose template_postgis for the template database?

It sounds like you just don't have the postgis scripts installed in the database you are in. It has to be installed in each database you will be using it in and the quickest way is to use the template_postgis that comes preinstalled with PostGIS on windows.

I think we explain this in Appendix B of the book, but please let us know if those instructions weren't clear.

Also check out our quick starter guide which also explains this.

http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=postgis_tut01

Leo
russellh (2) [Avatar] Offline
Leo,

Thank you for your reply. No, I didn't get that far in Appendix B. I didn't think that "template_postgis" was part of the installation that I would need for "SELECT postgis_full_version". It seemed like something beyond "installation". It would have helped me if section 1.3 of the book had said that I needed to create template_postgis before going any further.

I will follow the instructions in Appendix B. If you don't hear back from me, you can assume everything went fine.

I hope I don't drive you crazy with too many questions. I don't have the typical "intuitive"brain for software. But my Asperger's syndrome makes me very good with maps.

Thanks again.

Russell
regina.leo (265) [Avatar] Offline
Russell,
We look forward to your comments. It is always good to get second opinions on how we can make the content clearer.

Thanks,
Leo