The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

duncangodwin (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi

In chapter 5, in the Technology Mapping section of the Inversion of Communication pattern one of the suggestions is to add events to an ATOM/RSS feed which is never actually sent, but always polled. This is now not entirely true (although it would have been when the chapter was written) as we have pubsubhubbub and other emerging real-time web technologies.

Another related technology in this space is XMPP which does provide pub/sub and supports and open ended payload which is why it is used by some of the bigger sites on the Internet to avoid polling.

Kind regards

Duncan
arnonrgo (62) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Inversion of communications pattern
Hi Duncan
Thanks for your comment.
The technology mapping section aim is to show some mappings and not to provide a complete list. It is also a section that can get stale over time. The reason I added it is to provide some implementation pointers and demonstrate that the pattern discussion is not just academic

I do think that I should review all the technical mapping sections before the final book will go to print to make sure it is reasonable.

Lastly, thanks for the pointer to pubsubhubbub I wasn't aware of that project

Arnon