The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

BonnyBO (2) [Avatar] Offline
Dear Debu, Reza, Derek,
in the instructions to install and configure the sample code running on JBoss, you wrote:

"It is very likely to use an implementation other than GlassFish in your production environment, such as JBoss".

in our production environment we use the JBoss 4.2.2 even if it is a not fully JEE 5 compliant AS. Could you please briefly explain me tha main differences between the GlassFish V2 and JBoss 4.2.2 AS in terms of configurations and JEE 5 compliance?

Thank you very much,
Franz
reza_rahman (456) [Avatar] Offline
Re: GlassFish V2 vs. JBoss 4.2.2
Franz,

In my highly subjective opinion, GlassFish is much more easy to configure - you can use the console, asadmin or XML. In case of JBoss, your only option is XML really.

In terms of compliance, GlassFish is fully Java EE 5 certified, while JBoss is not. The primary case you will run into problems with this is that @EJB won't work on Servlets/JSF on JBoss.

However, the JBoss folks are responsible for a lot of innovation in Java EE, have a very active community, have excellent tools like Seam, JBoss IDE, jBPM, etc.

Hope it helps,
Reza
BonnyBO (2) [Avatar] Offline
Dear Reza,
thank you for your reply that is a confirmation to my view.

I would like to add that for what I understood also that the
latest version of the AS namely JBoss 5 is fully JEE compliant.

For what I know @EJB doesn't work at all in the 4.2.2 version.
Even in a client application it doesn't work. I will investigate
if the @EJB is going to work with the JBoss 5.

Regards,
Franz
reza_rahman (456) [Avatar] Offline
Franz,

It will work in JBoss 5 since it is Java EE 5 certified.

Cheers,
Reza