jxie@leeonsoft.com (12) [Avatar] Offline
There are a lot of example to present information about how to use some standard functions such as ST_NPoints and ST_NumPoints. All examples use geometries generated by ST_GeomFromText on fly instead of data in PostGIS. I recommend some examples use data in PostGIS. Also the book presents some diagram such as Figure 4.4. Is it possible to generate the same diagram from some open tools like OpenJump by running sql queries? I have a lot of years' experience in JEE. I just have some interest in GIS. I don't have a broad view of GIS. However, the book is wonderful and I am enjoying it.

Jim
www.gwtorm.com
regina.leo (265) [Avatar] Offline
Re: recommendation for chapter 4.
Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something a lot of people mentioned. Our plan was to cover this in part 2 of the book (after our section on loading data -- which we are finalizing right now) . The first part was more of an exposure.
regina.leo (265) [Avatar] Offline
Re: recommendation for chapter 4.
Jim,
Actually most of the diagrams in the book we generated using OpenJump. So pretty much wrap an ST_AsBinary around the geometry fields and use OpenJumps ad-hoc query tool. That's pretty much all we did and then applied some OpenJump themes.

Check out our flash press of using OpenJump -- if its not clear what I mean.

http://www.bostongis.com/downloads/pgcon2009/flashmovie/pgcon_postgis_spatial.htm