sydneyos (3) [Avatar] Offline
Here is my situation.
1. Retrieve an Entity from the db
2. Add more than one child entities in a given EntitySet
3. When I go to save, GetChangeSet only finds the first child as an entity to be inserted

I've tried this with multiple parent-child pair types and have the same outcome. I've tried adding child entities one at a time and using AddRange and get the same result.

I am completely stumped. Anyone else seen this?
Re: Add multiple child entities, but ChangeSet only sees one
Here is my test case to replicate this behavior:

int ct;
using (SurveyDB db = new SurveyDB())
{
var branch = db.GetTable<Branch>().SingleOrDefault(t => t.SurveyId == 10);
ct = branch.Steps.Count + 2;
List<Step> children = new List<Step>();
children.Add(new Step { StepKey = "Manual1", Description = "Manual 1", StepType = 8 });
children.Add(new Step { StepKey = "Manual2", Description = "Manual 2", StepType = 8 });
branch.Steps.AddRange(children);
ChangeSet set = db.GetChangeSet();
db.SubmitChanges();
}
using (SurveyDB db = new SurveyDB())
{
var saved = db.GetTable<Branch>().SingleOrDefault(t => t.SurveyId == 10);
Assert.AreEqual(ct, saved.Steps.Count);
}
fabrice.marguerie (224) [Avatar] Offline
Sydney,

You're making a simple mistake.
Instead of Add and AddRange, you should try with InsertOnSubmit.
e.g.:
branch.Steps.InsertOnSubmit(new Step { StepKey = "Manual1", Description = "Manual 1", StepType = 8 });

See section 6.6 in the book for the details. There is also DeleteOnSubmit.

Fabrice
jwooley (123) [Avatar] Offline
Have you tried directly adding your children to the branch rather than using AddRange? (InsertOnSubmit only applies to the Table<> not to the child EntitySet.) In this case you could do something like:

branch.Steps.Add(new Step { StepKey = "Manual1", Description = "Manual 1", StepType = 8 });
branch.Steps.Add(new Step { StepKey = "Manual2", Description = "Manual 2", StepType = 8 });

It may be helpful to pull out Sql Profiler to see the actual statements issued to the database (you should see 6: Initial fetch, initial fetch of step count, save of step1, save of step2, refetch the saved branch, fetch the saved step count). Looking at that trace may give a hint into the underlying cause of the problem.

Jim Wooley
Found it. This was due to a stupid override of GetHashCode based on the primary key (which is 0 for all new objects, so all new child objects were evaluated as the same). Doh!